iBook 14inch 1ghz freezes during install

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ih8reno, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I recently acquired an iBook and want to put a fresh install of the os on it. When using my leopard disk it freezes at 38min left. Same result when I try installing Tiger. I've switched out the ram (has 512mb combined with the built in ram) to another stick and nothing. Also the hdd shows up as in good condition when using disk utility.

Any ideas?

2. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Not sure how but it finally allowed a Tiger install. Will only boot when in safe mode though, otherwise it goes from an apple logo to blue screen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am guessing that there is an internal issue with the onboard RAM. Try getting the appropriate ASD tests done at an AASP if possible.

4. weckart macrumors 601

I had the exact same symptoms on a Powerbook 12". ASD showed a failing GPU. The blue screen happens when the graphic drivers kick in. Only remedy is a new logic board unless you want to play with shims or baking.

5. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Odd thing is originally the hdd wasn't recognized. I took it apart and fixed it (loose wire) and it booted off the drive. Then I tried to erase and reinstall and the comp won't work properly.

6. weckart macrumors 601

From all the googling I did when I had the issue with my Powerbook only two things seem to cause a blue screen on booting up - a duff graphics chip or a problem with your Administrator account set up. In the latter case, you should have a moving cursor on a blue screen. If you only have a static blue screen you are pretty much SOL.

The fact that it all seems to work with extensions off points to a hardware issue. Loading basic framebuffer drivers does not tax the discrete graphics chip and masks the real problem. That and the fact that iBooks are notoriously prone to cracking on the GPU BGA solder joints.

Time to get that ASD disc out.

7. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Well it boots now into a fresh install of tiger. After taking time to download updated it suddenly freezes. The fan does work so I am very confused. When started from cold the mac works fine, but after 20 min use if I reboot it goes to a blue screen after the apple logo.

8. weckart macrumors 601

When the chips heat up the logic board bends fractionally causing the minute cracks in the joints to open. At best, you might have a dodgy hdd. Only way to find out is to run that ASD test.

9. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Well I ran a disk utility test and it shows that it's working fine.

10. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Oh and when I download the updates now it freezes but the mouse sill scrolls around the screen

11. weckart macrumors 601

Disk Utility is hardly an exhaustive test of your hard drive, let alone of your logic board. You can carry on playing a guessing and hoping game or bite the bullet and run some more thorough diagnostics. It is really up to you.

TechTool or Drive Genius would give your more details about your hard drive but you really need to get that ASD/AHT test run now.

12. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

switched the hdd out with another. Freezes within minutes I can only assume the hdd is fine. Any other suggestions? I don't have the original disks so i can't run the asd.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Only Apple Hardware Test shipped on the restore disks and not ASD.

14. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Was able to run the test thanks to the help of a friend and it shows results as pass. Any other ideas?

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Did you run all of the tests? Did this iBook ever show graphics corruption?

16. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Ran all the ads tests and it showed a pass. I never saw any problems with the graphics either. I really am stumped. The new hdd has leopard installed on it and I know that it works.

17. weckart macrumors 601

This is the only other clue I can think of for the cause of your woes. There is another thread here with a faulty HDD cable as the problem area. However, booting with extensions off shouldn't make a difference if it is the HDD cable. The only thing I can suggest is trying to get hold of a Firewire external drive to run from. If it runs from that without locking up then the HDD connection is the problem. If you don't have a FW drive then you can get it to boot from a USB drive if you go via Open Firmware.