IBook advice

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by THX, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. THX macrumors newbie

    Apr 25, 2005
    I'm will be buying an ibook for school and it is easier for me to do so between now and the end of May. I've been holding off for quite a few months now, hoping for an update. However, my time is winding down and no update at all. I'm wondering if there is still a very strong belief that the ibooks will be updated very soon or if this has since been reduced to a very faint rumour?

    If I do decide to buy now instead of waiting for an update, I'm wondering what upgrades I should seek for quality tiger performance? I won't be using my ibook for anything more than essays, notes, surfing the net, watching dvds and doing very small amounts of photoshop work.

  2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

    Jan 23, 2005
    First of all, you weren't waiting a few months ready to buy it, since only a week ago you were asking MR members how to pay for it with $500 credit - but since you got the money now...

    Anyway, just today Apple changed the iBook to same day shipping, which is usually a sign of an update. The iBooks are infact due for one and the update would be much needed... a laptop with Tiger and a 1.2 GHz processor is a no.

    I think the iBooks will get a big upgrade to a 1.5 and 1.67 GHz G4 and the PowerBooks will get 2 GHz or G5s for tiger.

    Also, they will get the TrackPad or whatever its called.

    I would try to wait at least two weeks and if there is no update/rumors by then then ALL SYSTEMS GO.
  3. THX thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 25, 2005
    Actually, I've been thinking about it since February; the credit card thread was not about finding a way to afford it, but rather an easy solution to delivering my funds to Apple [ie. I have the money in my savings account, however I'd rather use an easy online banking solution (credit card) rather than a wire-transfer or a certified cheque.]

    I will follow your advice and wait, as it does seem like the wise choice especially as I don't want to end up upgrading too soon down the line. However, if there is no upgrade will I find myself unable to adequately use tiger with a 1.2ghz? Or will I merely be unable to use it at its full potential?
  4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6


    Jun 4, 2003
    My advice is wait. I feel that Apple has been purposely holding back updates until Tiger was released - after all, it wouldn't make much sense to release a lot of new updates with an old OS, then piss people off who then have to buy the new OS 2 weeks later. So, I feel that iBook, eMac and iMac updates are coming very soon. Just take a look at the Buyer's Guide on MR as well - new iBooks should be coming soon! Whether or not it's within the next month is another question, but I can't see the line going too much longer without an update.

    And for what it's worth, my girlfriend is buying an iBook as well, and I've told her to wait for updates, so you're not alone. :cool:

Share This Page