Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcatcho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Ok So i have a relatively new ibook (2 months old) that came without the airport extreme card. I just recently purchased one on my own and went to install it. After installing it exactly as the manual had specified the computer failed to boot. But this is what it did when i hit the power button to boot it up:

First it makes the hard drive clicking noise for a brief second.
Then the fan turns on at full speed. From there the computer sits with a black screen and fan a blarin'. It does nothing else, i have tried leaving it for along time. No dice.

When i remove the airport card it boots up and works fine.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I've tried reinstalling it many times now and no dice.

bcatcho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2005
bump...

Update i returned that card to a store and got a new one hoping that it was the card's fault. But the same problem still exists.

anybody know of anything that could be wrong here?

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
i had an ibook a few years ago, so my knowledge may be wrong, but..

is the ram slot directly above the airport card? if it is, perhaps it's not sitting in properly when you've installed the card? the ram would certainly stop the computer from booting..

i know it sounds obvious, but sometimes its the smallest lil details that cause problems..

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I had the same problem with my G4 iBook last year. Thinking it was a problem with the iBook, I tried the card in my G5 and had the same problem on that. I called the supplier who told me there were issues with Airport cards not being fully inserted - but it was so that wasn't it. He then said that the Airport card had a firmware update that wasn't compatible with the Airport software on either system. He didn't seem to want to explain exactly what that meant and refunded my money. I bought an Airport card from Apple and it worked perfectly.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
buryyourbrideau said:
there is a reason they come INSTALLED now on ibooks

Well, if the relatively sparse response to this question over 2 days so far is anything to go by, users who have installed Airport in their iBooks themselves don't seem to be having a whole load of problems!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.