Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I just recently started having a problem (more of an annoying thing) is that when at home the iBook keeps requesting an IP that is in use. I have my home network set up so that my iMac and the PC in the house have set (fix) IP addresses right after one another (for torrent purposes). Anyway, after visiting a friends house the iBook, when set to DHCP, always wants 192.168.2.101 as the IP. That is used by the PC in the house and I can't figure out why the iBook is doing it.

I have restarted the machine, reset NVRAM and PRAM, repaired permissions, and most of the other things that are "mandatory" in a situation like this. The only thing i have not done is a restart of the router which i will do when i get home from classes today.

On a side note. Is there a way to get the computer to automatically set an IP address for a given network?? I would love for it to work as follows. When on campus and the network "osuwireless" (or basically any network that is not my home one) is present the computer defaults to DHCP and obtains everything on its own. When at home i would love for it see my home wireless network adn then default to using DHCP with manual address.

I realize there is the locations thing that can be setup but that is not better then what I am doing now. I am going into system preferences every time to switch between DHCP (when away from home)and DHCP with manual address(when at home).

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
No, the iMac and PC are both setup with a manual address.

OK, I suggest making the PC and iBook connect with normal DHCP, rather than manual DHCP, as then they won't clash, alternatively login to your router and set the starting IP address to something higher, look under LAN Setup or DHCP setup or something, and set the starting IP address to something higher than the IP address assigned to the PC.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
OK, I suggest making the PC and iBook connect with normal DHCP, rather than manual DHCP, as then they won't clash, alternatively login to your router and set the starting IP address to something higher, look under LAN Setup or DHCP setup or something, and set the starting IP address to something higher than the IP address assigned to the PC.

OK, sounds good. When i get home I will try that and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Well, a little update. I am home and shut everything computer down except for one that was connect via ethernet. I released the DHCP from the router, then renewed it, i then went ahead and completely rebooted the router. It seems to be working fine now and the iBook no longer asks for an IP address that is the same as the PC.

On a side note. Is there a way to set up different locations in network preferences and then have them auto selected when a certain network is present.

EXAMPLE:
I would set up a location that says Home with a specific IP address (192.168.2.102). When the name of my home network is seen network preferences should switch to my Home setup. If my home network is not seen then it should default to my Away location setup.

If this is not possible could this be done with a little program or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.