Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shampoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Hey,
I'm tired of waiting for the updates and probably gonna by tomorow my new Ibook and put tiger on it.
What are the experiences with ibook and tiger??
Does it work fast or are there problems with it?

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Hi there,

I couldn't wait any longer either, and just bought a new iBook two days ago.

It came with Panther installed, but also came with Tiger on a DVD.

I did an 'erase and install' of Tiger, and it runs incredibly well.

At first, I was worried about only having 256mb of ram, but so far I've been really impressed.

Tiger runs really smooth on my 14" iBook (1.33 ghz). I think you'll be really happy with it. It's a little sluggish when Photoshop, iTunes, and Firefox are all going at once, but without Photoshop going it's pretty quick.

Honestly, I like how it works so well that I am considering upgrading to a gig of ram, and selling my desktop (3.2ghz p4).

Don't have any worries - even at the lowest ram possible Tiger runs great!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Tiger runs just fine on my iBook G4@800MHz with 640 MB RAM. It's much snappier than Panther was, and even at 10.4.1 it feels quite stable.

Three minor annoyances: It doesn't support Core Image (until next rev. no iBooks do), Safari has a tendency to crash every now and then and Tiger seems to be a bit more RAM hungrrrry than Panther and this results in the occasional beach-balling, especially when running several apps and streaming music over airtunes...

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Josh said:
Hi there,

I couldn't wait any longer either, and just bought a new iBook two days ago.

It came with Panther installed, but also came with Tiger on a DVD.

I did an 'erase and install' of Tiger, and it runs incredibly well.

At first, I was worried about only having 256mb of ram, but so far I've been really impressed.

Tiger runs really smooth on my 14" iBook (1.33 ghz). I think you'll be really happy with it. It's a little sluggish when Photoshop, iTunes, and Firefox are all going at once, but without Photoshop going it's pretty quick.

Honestly, I like how it works so well that I am considering upgrading to a gig of ram, and selling my desktop (3.2ghz p4).

Don't have any worries - even at the lowest ram possible Tiger runs great!

Yep, both my kids iBooks run Tiger with 256MB and no problems.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
tiger runs great on my G4 500 so it will run very well on any modern ibook G4.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
shampoo said:
What is Core Image?

its os software that allows the video card to deal with most or all of a graphic load and in turn freeing up cpu cycles and make the system faster.

core image is needed to get those ripple effects in dashboard.

BartoK

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I have installed Tiger on my 4 year old iBook G3 500 w/ 768mb RAM and it runs pretty decently. I would have no concerns if I were you...unless you absolutely have to get that Core Image eye candy. I don't think you do, personally...

shampoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
So the only thing that isn't possible with ibook are those ripple effects in dashboard?

deetschei

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2005
I mentioned this elsewhere I think...but I had the opportunity to try an iBook and a powerbook simultaneously the other day, both with tiger, and i really didn't notice any substandard performance on the iBook's part. if you don't mind not being able to see ripples, i thought they handled it remarkably well. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.