IBook - any way to edit or modify? (HATE THIS PROGRAM)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by treehorn, Feb 27, 2014.

1. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

Just got my new Mac Pro, and in transferring data from my old to the new...the only headache was this delightful program, IBooks - a program so vile even Apple's spellcheck doesn't think it exists...

After spending over two hours trying to figure out what 1400 files were not transferring from my ITunes library, I finally figured out...it was my books. No books, pdfs, etc. migrated, so had to use a Time Machine back up to manually transfer (sometimes dragging a folder worked, sometimes it didn't)

And now it's a mess. Authors names that were fixed have gone wonky. Titles that I altered so they would display in series order...also wonky. (and even when it's not wonky, Ibooks doesn't want to order them consistently following that titling system)

And now it seems that there's no way to change any of the metadata - add a cover photo if it's gone missing...change the authors names so there's consistency...etc..

Am I missing something?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Nope, you aren't. That's one of the reasons I'm still on Mountain Lion. What version of Mavericks are you running?

3. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

had no choice in the matter...using 10.9.2 as it came with the computer.

How can they have such an epic fail on this? I don't and won't ever read a book on my computer. I don't need a separate program. I need something that will let me just load it into my iPad...and let it work.

4. Bear macrumors G3

If you have a backup of your books from before you installed Mavericks, you could remove iBooks following the directions in this thread which will let iTunes manage your ebooks again.

Note that I have not tried this and you may need to remove iBooks again after an OS X update.

5. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn