Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
i recently bought a battery from a company on eBay for a 12" iBook Dual USB. it was described to be in "very good condition," but im having problems with it and i wanted to bring it here before i complain to the seller.

i first put it in my ibook and charged it for a good 6 hours, then when i checked it, it was fully charged (99%). i unplugged the AC adapter and it was working great for the first 5 minutes, saying that there is over 2 hours of charge remaining. that steadily declined to abouot 2 hours when my iBook just shut off (went to sleep). and i tried re-awakening it and i had to plug it back in in order to bring it back. then it said that there was NO charge. very strange behavior...

i have the battery that came with the iBook and it's dead, but it does not say it's okay, then immediately die; the battery quickly declines in percentage from 100% to 8% in 15 minutes then alerts me that it's running on reserve power, then dies.

please help me figure out if this is an actual problem with just the battery, or if there actually is a difference on how the battery works from an M8403 (original) battery to an A1008 (replacement).

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Couldn't tell you exactly without searching those model numbers. Are you running anything that would drain a lot of the juice very quickly though? 2 hours seems very short anyway, which would want me to send it back.

Also, does anyone know if these batteries have a memory effect when they are replaced. Wouldn't have thought so, but a possibility. Also, could be faulty power unit inside the iBook. Could be anything.:(

allenanddina

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2005
iBook battery problems here too...

I had/have the identical problem. It's a SE 466 Clamshell Graphite. When orig batt went bad I bought a replacement. In just a few days the new replacement battery lost power and would not take a charge. So I think it must be internal to the machine. I also get a very faint flickering battery icon--but it is in an odd location--just to the left of the red apple in the upper left of the screen. It just flickers off and on now and then--even though I have no battery even in the notebook. Can anyone help me with this? I want to get it ready to sell and this is a hang up. Thanks-- Allen R.

this is funah said:
i recently bought a battery from a company on eBay for a 12" iBook Dual USB. it was described to be in "very good condition," but im having problems with it and i wanted to bring it here before i complain to the seller.

i first put it in my ibook and charged it for a good 6 hours, then when i checked it, it was fully charged (99%). i unplugged the AC adapter and it was working great for the first 5 minutes, saying that there is over 2 hours of charge remaining. that steadily declined to abouot 2 hours when my iBook just shut off (went to sleep). and i tried re-awakening it and i had to plug it back in in order to bring it back. then it said that there was NO charge. very strange behavior...

i have the battery that came with the iBook and it's dead, but it does not say it's okay, then immediately die; the battery quickly declines in percentage from 100% to 8% in 15 minutes then alerts me that it's running on reserve power, then dies.

please help me figure out if this is an actual problem with just the battery, or if there actually is a difference on how the battery works from an M8403 (original) battery to an A1008 (replacement).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.