iBook Battery

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by greenguy4, Dec 3, 2007.

1. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

I am having some issues with my battery this is the life I am getting on my ibook battery is this normal for iBook G4s? Also next to my battery, underneath the lock is this big spot that looks like tiny cracks in the casing. That spot also feels like it is coming out of the casing... is this covered under warranty?

Any answers or advice would be much appreciated thanks a lot everyone for your time!

Attached Files:

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Did you ever have your battery replaced under the battery replacement program? If not, I would start there.
    https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/

Edit: just saw the computer in your sig. I don't know, were the 14" iBooks part of that replacement program? Something tells me they were not.

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

As long as your iBook is still under warranty, you should be able to get a replacement battery. If you call Applecare, they'll ask questions about battery cycles and capacity. With those numbers, they should send a replacement along with a pre-paid return box for the old battery. I recently had my battery replaced -- it wasn't nearly as bad as yours, and the process was very easy.

Can't comment on the cracks.

4. setasai macrumors member

Thats exactly what's happening with mine right now...

Mine is stuck at:
    41% Current Battery Charge
    29% Current Battery Capacity
    w/
    209 Cycles
    35 Months
    Yes AC is in
    No battery is not charging.

Is it the charging circuit? or the Battery?
    If its the battery i'll probably buy a new battery but if its the charging circuit then forget it... i'll probably just leave it as is and let the whole thing break itself down.

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Buy A New One!

If this is your original battery, it's served you very well. Your iBook is nearly 3-years old and yes, unfortunately, all batteries fade and die. It is not covered by any warranty at this age. Go buy a new one yourself and hope that you get another three years of reliable use from it. My iBook G4 is on its second battery, and that second one is up to 330+ charge cycles, and it's just slightly better than what yours is showing. Time to spend some $$$. :apple:

6. setasai macrumors member

Well I just wanted to make sure that it was the battery not the charging circuit before I dish out 100 bucks for a battery. But also ... my hinge is kinda broken.

I have the keyboard iskin protector thing and one night i was watching a movie... fell asleep and the ibook fell on the floor LCD down. It wedged the keyboard silicone skin between the lcd and base where the hinge was and kinda pried one side of the hinge away from the LCD frame.

Any idea how much that would cost to fix or if i should fix it at all?

Otherwise this thing has served me very very well and now that i have a 24inch imac (shudderz amazing btw) I'm not sure if i should fix it or not.

Ideas? or anybody wanna buy it?... lol