iBook.....can I patch a 20v/3.5a adapter?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cheeryble, Jul 17, 2009.

1. cheeryble macrumors regular

Hi there from Chiangmai Thailand

I want to give my old iBook to my girlfriend for her birthday next week.
    Trouble is as so common (it turns out) it's adapter failed ages ago. The low voltage lead started shorting so I did a solder job after cracking open the brick. It lasted for quite a while but now dud again for a year. A new adapter from Apple here is $115.....quite a lot for an adapter which will very likely break down (my later Macbook adapter has since shorted and even started smoking I'm on a replacement!)
    The highest voltage compact adapter I can find here in CM is 20v (reg voltage of Apple adapter 24v)at 3.5a. However the battery of the iBook is only 10.8v and I have read that 15v will start up the iBook but not charge it (perhaps due to power management.

If I patch the iBook plug to the 20v adapter will this make my girlfriend happy?

cheers
    Cheeryble

ps: After years Apple now seem to be replacing Macbook adapters free....they did mine yesterday. The fault seems to be accepted. Anyone know if they replace iBook adapters at any age? They're potentially dangerous after all.

2. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Despite the lack of replies I went ahead and cannibalised the old charger plug/lead with the new VERY CHEAP (120 baht = $3.30!!) 20v charger.
    It worked first time and continues to do so.
    It not only fires up OSX it charges the battery too and not slowly.

Apple minus $115 and lose reputation.
    Cheeryble minus $3 and very smug.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Hahahaha nice one dude. Glad you got it sorted and screwed Apple over ;D And told the rest of us too! :D