Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2004
Hello all,
I have virtually never had a problem with any Apple hardware in 8 years or so, hence this is my first visit to an Apple hardware help board.

My CRDW/DVD drive on my iBook will not burn CD's. The problem started in iTunes. I tried to burn a disk, and got an error message which says:
"The attempt to burn a disc failed. The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry."
I tried some other disk authoring programs, but the same problem presisted. So I think my drive is bunk. Has anyone heard of this problem? Do I need to replace the entire drive or can it be repaired?

thanks

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
alto said:
Hello all,
I have virtually never had a problem with any Apple hardware in 8 years or so, hence this is my first visit to an Apple hardware help board.

My CRDW/DVD drive on my iBook will not burn CD's. The problem started in iTunes. I tried to burn a disk, and got an error message which says:
"The attempt to burn a disc failed. The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry."
I tried some other disk authoring programs, but the same problem presisted. So I think my drive is bunk. Has anyone heard of this problem? Do I need to replace the entire drive or can it be repaired?

thanks
I would ask Apple about it if I were you. Do you have an Apple Store nearby (if you live in the USA or Japan)? If you do, take your iBook to the Genius Bar and explain your problem to them. They can give you advice on how to proceed, try to fix the problem, and help you with any other Mac-related questions you might have. If you don't have an easy way of consulting Apple, your best bet is to get an external burner to replace the one that died. If you do take this option, be warned that burning in iTunes and the Finder may no longer work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.