Ibook charger..65w or 75w

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spider-mac, Mar 7, 2011.

1. spider-mac macrumors newbie

My charger broke a couple of months ago, the wire on the part you put into the Mac actually burts into flames before my eyes.. the isolation was almost twisted of..

So, I went to my local Apple store, and bought a new one.. they did not have the old 65w style, but one for the newer.. a 75w charger. The seller said it wasnt a problem using it, but I "feel" the Ibook started to become warmer then before, the fan almost always on.

Does this any correlation to the charger having a higher load?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

As far as I know, Apple has never used a 75W power adapter. The MacBook Air uses a 45W, 13" MacBooks/13" MacBook Pros a 60W, iBooks/PowerBooks 65W, 15"/17" MacBook Pros an 85W. In terms of using a higher wattage power adapter with the iBook, it should not affect the computer or battery performance in any way. You cannot, however, use a lower wattage power adapter with a system expecting a higher wattage, i.e. a MacBook adapter (60W) with a MacBook Pro (85W) to charge the battery or to even run it.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Incorrect. You can safely use a lower wattage adapter. The battery will not charge as quickly, but the machine will work. Similarly, you can use a higher wattage adapter on a smaller machine--the laptop will simply draw less current from the charger.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It shouldn't, as the computer will only draw as much power as it needs. That actually means that the power brick should be cooler when in use, and the computer shouldn't be affected at all. Might just be a mind game lol ;)

5. lee50539310 macrumors newbie

it doesn't matter, like 85W MBP can instead i60W.

but i don't hear there are 75W adapter