Ibook Charger help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ~Macaddict~, Mar 17, 2008.

1. ~Macaddict~ macrumors newbie

~Macaddict~

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to make their own Ibook charger. I saw this on the web>>

iBook and PowerBook Power Jack and Power Supply
    iBook and Powerbook power jack connector can be easily damnaged.
    Apart of some injury (because Apple sometimes uses weird hardware when standard connectors could do the sam work easily) it is possible to repair (cracking, fixing and closing it by using glue or tape) or replace such connector.

Instead of the original power supply, if needed, we can use any power supply with an output of 24V/45W (i.e.: at least 2A).

In order to replace the power supply jack we can use a standard stereo audio jack (∅ 3.5mm for old iBook and PowerBook, ∅ 2.5mm for the new ones), patching some shield or ignoring it at all.

If you plan to restore the shield around the jack (it is only used for the light, it is not mandatory) it needs to be patched in some way, connected to the negative pin through a resistor (about .5MΩ).

tip not connected
    tip/ring negative
    ring ⊕ 24V
    shield connected to negative with a .5MΩ R

Do you think this would work?

2. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

I wouldn't recommend it unless you are an electrician. You can buy PPC notebook chargers for $30.

3. ~Macaddict~ thread starter macrumors newbie

~Macaddict~

4. NIPRING macrumors 6502

Last time i checked ebay for ibook power adapters, there was like 3 or 4 pages of them. Pretty cheap for the aftermarket ones too.