Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Chicago, IL
Hello all,

I've noticed a strange problem with my 2 year old iBook the past few months. When I connect the charger, the LED light would go to the usual amber charging color, but then it would flicker to a dark red, and then to a green (although not fully charged), back to amber again, etc. repeat. During this time, the battery indicator would show "Calculating..." at the top, and would stay that way for about 3 minutes until a time showed. The LED flickering would continue while the charger is plugged in. Is this just a sign of old age, or should I be worred about an electrical/battery problem?

Here's the current battery stats, if that would help:
batterystats.jpg

Thanks,
JDR

I'll also add that when I take out the battery while the charger is connected, the computer will die (yet the charger is still connected and lit).

edit: Well, about 5 minutes ago my computer suddenly shut off. Won't start at all. Power cord is plugged in and glowing, but still won't respond.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Thanks guys for all your help. It's nice to know that out of the 34 views so far, none of you could share a word. Well, about 5 minutes ago my computer suddenly shut off. Won't start at all. Power cord is plugged in and glowing, but still won't respond.

That's a cheery attitude. It's the weekend, and this is not your personal support forum. If you want real help, call Apple.
Now that that is out of my system...

It sounds like your adapter may have gone wrong. Either the adapter itself, or else the connector port on your iBook. Borrow one from a friend or see if you can try one out at an Apple store. If that solves the problem, then buy a new adapter.
It could be the battery. At 415 cycles, yours is getting old. Did you battery qualify for the replacement program, and if so, did you replace it?
https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/main?id=qp
It might be time for a new battery regardless. If your max charge is only 313 mAh, you can't be getting good battery life.

what program is that? thanks

That's CoconutBattery. Not yet fully compatible for Leopard.

JDR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Chicago, IL
That's a cheery attitude. It's the weekend, and this is not your personal support forum. If you want real help, call Apple.
Now that that is out of my system...

Yeah, sorry about that. I was a bit frustrated after calling Apple Care, and receiving the inevitable news that I had already used my one phone call and my computer was out of warranty, etc. My battery did not qualify for the replacement, but I can still get 20 minutes out of it. Thanks for the advice; I'll try to stop by an Apple Store tomorrow and see what they say about it.

Regards,
JDR

megp

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2008
JDR - I'm having the same exact problem... did you ever resolve anything? Any help or advice would be great.
Thanks!

Also, I just tried the coconut battery program, but only have 10.3.9 so couldn't use it. I got "battery health monitor" instead, and when the light/battery status goes to "charging"/flashing lights the status there says "not chargeable." Any ideas??

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Yeah, sorry about that. I was a bit frustrated after calling Apple Care, and receiving the inevitable news that I had already used my one phone call and my computer was out of warranty, etc. My battery did not qualify for the replacement, but I can still get 20 minutes out of it. Thanks for the advice; I'll try to stop by an Apple Store tomorrow and see what they say about it.

Regards,
JDR

with 7% battery health left, i wonder how long can you run the notebook on battery??

megp

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2008
I had this same issue with my 12" PowerBook a few years ago.

It was time for a new power adapter...

I have a new adapter... and a new battery... but it's still happening! Any other ideas? Or do I just go to the Apple Store.... Help!

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
I have a new adapter... and a new battery... but it's still happening! Any other ideas? Or do I just go to the Apple Store.... Help!

well, if both battery and adapter are new, the next thing is the DC in board.
you can see what it is here (for ibook 12")------> link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.