Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macoltrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
So I've been having issues lately with the charger, and I didn't really figure out what the problem was (whether it was logic board issue or cord as suggested by people on the forum)

Right now, the area of the cord attached closest to the plug literally melts away and smokes. The iBook subsequently shuts off after I pull the plug (the battery was still in tact so I don't know why the computer would shut off)

Would someone be able to explain what happened? Is this clearly a charger issue or is there something wrong with the laptop? Anyone have similar experiences/heard similar stories?

Thanks guys

EDIT--found a youtube video that shows exactly what happened with my charger except it was near the plug area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghqX5L7kzg8

Serious fire hazard...

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I think a lot of flexing and bending of the wire over time can cause a break in the wire on the inside. This might short the ground wire/shielding to the positive voltage line, and subsequently lets the smoke out.

Replace the shorted out charger and pray that the defective one didn't short out your logicboard.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Is the "short" on the high voltage side or the low voltage side? You said the plug area but is that the one to the ibook(low voltage) or the one near where you plug into the wall(high voltage)?

Either way it is a short and could fry your computer and your logic board. Not good!

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
You have a short which may be at either end. It's causing way too much current to be drawn fro the power supply. Best bet is to replace the wall charger ASAP and hope that is your problem and not an internal short inside the laptop. In the interim I would not use that power supply at all.

Wait till you get a new/replacement, then monitor the heat at the area you describe. If you still have a short, it won't take long to heat up.

It's probably the power supply but no way else of knowing from where Im located--)) Good Luck and let us know what happened! ;)

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
This is a problem that has been happening for at least 3 year or so with these magsafe adaptors.

Do a Google search and you will find out all you ever wanted to know about this problem. sometimes the plug that goes into the computer can melt and sometimes it's the cord closest to the adaptor.

Apple will replace the cord but then it's possible it can happen again once the new one gets used.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
This is a problem that has been happening for at least 3 year or so with these magsafe adaptors.

Do a Google search and you will find out all you ever wanted to know about this problem. sometimes the plug that goes into the computer can melt and sometimes it's the cord closest to the adaptor.

Apple will replace the cord but then it's possible it can happen again once the new one gets used.

iBook. It's not a MagSafe.

OP: Your cord is damaged. DO NOT continue to use your adaptor until you get it replaced or repaired.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
So I've been having issues lately with the charger, and I didn't really figure out what the problem was (whether it was logic board issue or cord as suggested by people on the forum)

Right now, the area of the cord attached closest to the plug literally melts away and smokes. The iBook subsequently shuts off after I pull the plug (the battery was still in tact so I don't know why the computer would shut off)

Would someone be able to explain what happened? Is this clearly a charger issue or is there something wrong with the laptop? Anyone have similar experiences/heard similar stories?

Thanks guys

EDIT--found a youtube video that shows exactly what happened with my charger except it was near the plug area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghqX5L7kzg8

Serious fire hazard...

OMG... Lord get a new charger already. Nothing lasts forever except death and taxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.