iBook charging problems.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SkyBell, Feb 1, 2009.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I plugged in my iBook G4 to charge a few minutes ago, and noticed it wasn't charging correctly. It would charge for a few seconds, then stop for a few, and resume charging again. At first, I thought it was the crappy charger I bought from eBay, but no, it's also a problem on the original charger (although I have gotten it to stop now on this one).

I've pretty much accepted I'm screwed, or least that's what I'm assuming. But I want know, what is causing this, and how much will it cost to fix?

Thanks.

2. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

What happens if you take the battery out? Can you run from A/C power consistently?

If you can, my vote goes to a bad battery.

3. oneEG6 macrumors member

Could definitely be a battery. Does it light up like normal? Does it matter if you slightly move/jiggle the end that goes into the iBook? I know from getting yanked around a lot that those dc-in connections can get loose and need replacing. I had a used iBook that this happened to, the local Apple store fixed it for $150.

4. jonbrasher macrumors newbie

This just happened to my Powerbook G4. Take your charger to a local apple reseller or apple store and confirm it it NOT the charger. If it the charger is not the culprit it is most like your DC in/Sound card. These can be found on Ebay and replaced by you if you do not not have apple care and do not wish to pay a pro. The rate for my local apple reseller is $95/hr plus parts. It would probably be about $95 + part cost to replace the DC in. Save yourself some money buy the part off ebay (mine was $50) head over to ifixit.com and replace it yourself.