iBook Clamshell won't charge even after battery replacement

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jessica Lares, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Have reset PMU, PRAM. Nothing. Calibrating is taking HOURS - Light still orange. Tried, battery lasts 30 seconds...

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

1. Have you tried using a different charger?

2. Is the battery specificly designed for that mac?

3. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yes to both. I have two chargers and the same battery model.

4. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

The DC in board could be a possible cause, my brother had one that went and it was unfixable, well fixable if youre good at soldering...lol

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeh, thats the only other thing it could be :(

6. drewdle macrumors regular

There are two boards responsible for battery issues on these machines. Neither is easy to get to. I'd recommend replacing both due to the age of the machine. This should set you back around $50.

The first is the DC input board, as noted. I'd hesitate to name this the culprit myself as you're not seeing any issues with the machine operating off of the adapter, and you're not getting the red circle. Still, it could help. These boards do not require soldering on the Clamshell models, so replacement is easy enough, just not easy to get to the part itself.

The second bit is the charger/trackpad board. This is located right underneath the trackpad and has the battery terminals on it. As you can't seem to charge the battery, this would be my first guess. This part was integrated into the logic board on later machines, thus Clamshells are the only models (IIRC) to have them.

You can find a guide on replacing both at iFixIt, as well as the parts themselves. Good luck!