ibook crashes after being on an hour

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by minimary, Apr 6, 2008.

1. minimary macrumors newbie

I have just upgraded to panther on ibook G3, now after an hour of use it crashes. I have to leave it for hours before I can use it again
    I'm new to mac so can anyone help

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Have you used software update to install all the patches from Apple?

Also, you might want to share some information about your computer. System specs, like processor, ram, etc., so people know what iBook model you're talking about.

3. minimary thread starter macrumors newbie

ibook crashes after an hour

Hi scienide09
    I tried updating the software but it crashed before it finished. the ibook has 128 ram and the processor is 500 mhz it is the later model 2001

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What do you mean by "crashes?" Does it kernel panic? Freeze?

5. minimary thread starter macrumors newbie

the screen starts to go pale and it just fades away to either lines or a white screen. A horizontal bar is the first indication. I also hear a faint noise. I can restart it but it doesn't last long before it happens again. Could it be overheating?

6. minimary thread starter macrumors newbie

update: I tried again this morning to run the update. I changed the order and updated the os x 3.9 first and the computer stayed on. I have updated everything and I have just switched it off after 2.1/2 hours with no problems so it obviously needed it to run properly. Thanks for taking an interest, I will be back as I am new to mac and have lots to learn

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I suspect you have a thermal issue of some kind and doubt very much if software is at fault. It may or may not be overheating per se, but a component which is responding poorly to normal thermal stress.

8. minimary thread starter macrumors newbie

I had been using it for very long periods before I installed panther and never had any problems so its odd it started immediately after and its alright again now since I was successful with the update.