ibook disabled

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dodecar, Feb 17, 2013.

1. dodecar macrumors newbie

Hi there,I'm new to Macs and have just come by an ibook ,it'sthe most beautiful laptop I've ever seen. It's on 9.2.2. However nothing seems operational on it ,it doesn't recognize usb sticks or cds,everything seems forbidden or impossible. The control panels are disabled and I haven't a clue what to do with it. Any advice would be gratefully received .Thanks. Dodecar

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Which iBook is it?

3. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

Mac newbie mistake, not providing specs. Probably the G3 given that it's running OS 9, but who knows?

I'm also curious about how the OP came by the iBook, since these stories are often interesting.

4. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

It'll either be a clamshell or an '01 dual-USB.

5. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Could be later, even one of the early 2003 models. Huge difference there between the clamshells and the 2003s.

6. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I didn't think the 2002+ models could boot into OS9?

EDIT: Just looked into it. They can. I stand corrected!

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

To get some basic specs, go to the Apple menu and choose Apple System Profiler. The first page should have a summary.

If you can't get that far, then there should be a sticker with the basic specs on it. From memory this is either underneath the battery or under the keyboard. On the newer machines the keyboard has two latches (I think they're next to Esc and Eject), pull both of those down and the keyboard should come straight out.

8. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Well, the G4s couldn't boot into OS9 after sometime in June.

9. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

The uni 1.25 MDD was the last Mac able to boot into OS9 I believe.

...The fact I know that early MDD's are able to boot into OS9 makes my last post sound even more stupid :rolleyes:

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The 2002 MDDs couldn't boot OS 9, but this functionality came back with the 2003 models (which could be BTOed with dual 1.25).

11. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

The DP FireWire 400 1.25 could boot 9. The DP FireWire 800 1.25 could not.

12. dodecar, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

dodecar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank's for the great interest and help everyone,it's very kind of you. I'll take it apart today and see if I can absolutely confirm its model .I had thought it a G3 it's 14.1" has 250mb ram the only mention of hard drive that I can see is 22GB, the date is 2002 .the model no is A1007 and there are two usb ports and airport seems to be onboard. As I said before it's running 9.2.2 ,if that's the original OS I couldn't say,certainly nothing opens up on it. Skateny,hi,yes it was a little strange.I accepted the fine looking machine in part payment ,for one of my paintings,the guy showed me it surfing from a live disc and I couldn't resist it. He didn't know anything about Mac systems(neither do I) ,told me everything was disabled and needed upgraded . Although he was far from stupid he wanted to go back to windows. God help him! I am so proud to own this lovely work of art ,a Rolls Royce of a machine.

----------

That's for the great interest and help everyone,it's very kind of you. I'll take it apart today and see if I can absolutely confirm its model .I had thought it a G3 it's 14.1" has 250mb ram the only mention of hard drive that I can see is 22GB, the date is 2002 .the model no is A1007 and there are two usb ports and airport seems to be onboard. As I said before it's running 9.2.2 ,if that's the original OS I couldn't say,certainly nothing opens up on it. Skateny,hiyes it was a little strange.I accepted the fine looking machine in part payment ,for one of my paintings,the guy showed me it surfing from a live disc and I couldn't resist it. He didn't know anything about Mac systems(neither do I) ,told me everything was disabled and needed upgraded . Although he was far from stupid he wanted to go back to windows. God help him! I am so proud to own this lovely work of art ,a Rolls Royce of a machine.

----------

That's for the great interest and help everyone,it's very kind of you. I'll take it apart today and see if I can absolutely confirm its model .I had thought it a G3 it's 14.1" has 250mb ram the only mention of hard drive that I can see is 22GB, the date is 2002 .the model no is A1007 and there are two usb ports and airport seems to be onboard. As I said before it's running 9.2.2 ,if that's the original OS I couldn't say,certainly nothing opens up on it. Skateny,hiyes it was a little strange.I accepted the fine looking machine in part payment ,for one of my paintings,the guy showed me it surfing from a live disc and I couldn't resist it. He didn't know anything about Mac systems(neither do I) ,told me everything was disabled and needed upgraded . Although he was far from stupid he wanted to go back to windows. God help him! I am so proud to own this lovely work of art ,a Rolls Royce of a machine.

13. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

Hey.

You don't need to open it up to find out what it is.

Here's your iBook: https://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/specs/ibook_700_14.html

Given that the previous owner didn't know much about it, it's probably the stock model without major upgrades. You can go to OS X Tiger with it, which will allow you to use software that isn't accessible with OS 9.

Have fun.

14. dodecar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ,skateny .That's a great help I had thought I could only go to Jaguar. I'll give it a go. All the best .