Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Phantasmo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
I went on a trip last week for 5 days and when I came back home my iBook had a one-pixel-wide line going from top to bottom on the full screen, it was white when over a dark background and yellow when over a blue back. Like if one complete "column" of pixels had burned out.

I took it to the apple tech service (still under applecare) and they told me that they will replace the full display for a new one, but the part takes 15 days to arrive. The next day, after thirty minutes of using the computer, the line went away all by itself! It is completely gone and no sign of it at all.

Now my question is: Should I still have the display replaced for a new one?

My main concern is that the new display may have a stuck pixel or two, and if that were the case, I know that applecare only covers more than four bad pixels. So if I keep this one, and nothing else happens I will have all 100% working pixels and if the line shows up again, I can still have it replaced. But if I decide to replace it, I am risking getting a couple "bad" pixels with the new display.... your thoughts?

Thanks

ghostee

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Villa Park, IL
If Apple received your iBook and the panel looked/tested fine to them, they wouldn't replace it anyways. If you're still under Applecare for a while, I wouldn't worry about it quite yet.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
If i were you i would get it replaced, as dead pixels in iBook displays are very uncommon so that should not be a concern, just call up apple and describe the problem and i am sure they will arrange a replacement...

SHadOW ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.