Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I have noticed this since i bought it and never really paid much mind to it.. The display seems a bit on the Dim side even when the brightness is pushed all the way up. I took notice to this when i was working on one of my work laptops (craptacular PC laptop) and compared it to my iBook. It is a 12" G3 900 640mb ram airport, the display is fine so i doubt highly its a logic board thing, but the backlight just seems dimmer than other laptops ive seen. I notice if im outside in daylight at times its hard to see my screen even at full brightness (no the sun isnt directly aimed at the screen).

So i ask, does this sound like maybe the backlight isnt funtioning properly, or does the iBook just have a weak backlight by nature? The display is fine, its just the brightness level.

I am debating taking it to the local apple store but before i endure the hell that is my local apple store i thought id see if this was a normal thing? Or maybe my backlight may be defective? I hate my local apple store, the genius's are far from genuis and it bugs the crap out of me when they mess with my settings thinking that i have no clue how to use my own laptop/ipod/pm, and take 2-4 hours of my time deciding what to do... I have applecare on it until march of next year, but i have to get past the idiots at the "genuis" bar first since im sure applecare phone support would divert me there anyhow.

Thanks in advance
Ed

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
I have to say that mine is pretty dull, I think it might be a general problem.

It's especially bad if in a bright room during the day, I think I've got used to it now but when I see some nice top of the range Windoze laptops the screens are very clear and crisp in all light scenarios.

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
Ed H said:
So i ask, does this sound like maybe the backlight isnt funtioning properly, or does the iBook just have a weak backlight by nature? The display is fine, its just the brightness level.

Apple notebook computers do NOT have very bright displays. That's no defect, just poor design.

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
london
lexfuzo said:
Apple notebook computers do NOT have very bright displays. That's no defect, just poor design.

I wouldn't say it's poor design, just that ibooks in particular are designed with ergonomics as a high priority and having a bright screen isn't great for your eyes.

I was surprised to find that the display was dim when I got my ibook, but after running the screen calibration thing in OS X and setting the gamma to 2.2 instead of 1.8, everything looks much nicer.

My thinking is that, provided the contrast is ok (which I find it is, once you've calibrated) there's no reason why your whites should be any brighter than looking at a white piece of paper on your desk.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
if you decide to stick with it, you may find you adjust...

otherwise, just close the curtains and turn off all your other lights!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.