iBook G3 Airport problem & installing Tiger -DVD stalls

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mgxeab, Jun 23, 2012.

1. mgxeab macrumors newbie

i have an iBook G3 "snow" / 500 / 650 mb / currently OS X 10.1.5 / 40gb hard drive

1) cannot connect to wifi Internet - can detect the network and gives strong signal but doesnt accept the network password as correct

2) tried installing Tiger retail DVD - opens up in Mac and advises to restart - restart and boots off DVD but stalls at Apple sign and spinning circle - kept it running for 30 mins - tried again in verbose mode and gave loads of SAM errors read write etc

Any ideas? really need Tiger on it or at least run Internet - thanks

2. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

A few things..

Alrighty well here are a few things to think about.

1) With the iBook you have, you are limited to an original AirPort card that will do WEP and that is really it. So in order to connect to your router you have drop your level of encryption. Or, buy a USB dongle to get more options.

2) A Tiger DVD is going to get you exactly nowhere with the drive installed in that laptop: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/specs/ibook_500.html So the choices here? External DVD drive to boot from, or another mac to boot from and install via firewire disk mode. Hope that helps point ya in the right direction.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with this answer. It's very likely that the OP's ibook is either the DVD-ROM or the Combo Drive. Both of which can read a DVD. The OP was able to get the Tiger DVD to mount, so he doesn't have the CD-RW iBook.

Why are you suggesting he get an external DVD drive or another Mac to run Target Disk Mode?

I'm kinda thinking his HDD is shot. I'm no expert, but SAM errors sound bad.

4. mgxeab thread starter macrumors newbie

OK i got it with with AirPort card scenario, I will try using a dongle.

As for Tiger, I am pretty sure I have a DVD ROM as it read the disk initially, as the second poster said - it did mount, open up, I double clicked the Install file which prompted me to Restart so it can install.

Any way that I check the HDD and fix any errors etc? Or would it need a new one?

5. MacinDan macrumors regular

With Tiger installed you will be able to use the Airport card with WPA but not WPA2 security.

6. mgxeab thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks - just need to figure out how to get Tiger on it now. my worry is getting HDD - how donut get the correct spec for my iBook?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your iBook needs a PATA/EIDE/IDE laptop sized 2.5" drive no bigger than 128GB.

8. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

And you would be correct.

After rereading the post. I realized I came off a bit half cocked and did not look at all the options at hand. I agree it looks like an hd issue. Which as others have stated can be fixed for a small investment. I know upgrading to a 7200rpm drive here on my PBG4 made a huge difference.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

While a 7200rpm drive would be the best hard drive the OP could get for his machine, they are very hard to find at a reasonable price and haven't been made in years. Though I must agree that the stock drives in Apple's G3 and early G4 laptops is a very poor preforming drive. Even a simple cheap, modern 5400rpm drive show a vast improvement.

10. California macrumors 68040

California

I have a 80 gig 5400rpm drive which will still be much faster than your original drive.

11. mgxeab thread starter macrumors newbie

ok update - I got a new unformatted 5400 rpm 80gb HDD (took ages to install) - booted off Tiger DVD currently stuck on Apple logo and spinning wheel ? does it normally take long to get started?

12. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

I thought tiger isnt directly supported on the G3 and is only G4+

You need to use software to allow you to install it

----------

hold on i was almost there...

"Tiger removed support for older New World ROM Macs such as the original iMacs and iBooks that were supported in Panther; however it is possible to install Tiger on these Macs using third-party software (such as XPostFacto) that overrides the checks made at the beginning of the installation process. Likewise, machines such as beige Power Mac G3s and "Wall Street" PowerBook G3s that were dropped by Panther (the preceding release of Mac OS X) can also be made to run both Panther and Tiger in this way. Also, Tiger can be installed on unsupported New World ROM Macs by installing it on a supported Mac, then swapping hard drives. Old World ROM Macs require the use of XPostFacto to install Tiger.

Tiger was the last version of Mac OS X that supported the PowerPC G3 processor."

I thought i remember reading somthing like that when i installed tiger on my Bondi iMac G3

13. mgxeab thread starter macrumors newbie

Apologies for the length of post:

OK new update. Installed Panther on the new hard drive, everything is fine.
    It even fixed the AirPort issue and now I can connect wirelessly.

Tried the Tiger disk installation. This time it gave me a Kernel panic.

Searched about this and someone mentioned holding Option, Command, Shift and Delete then booting - did that and guess what!? The UPGRADE installation of Tiger commenced!!!!!

New problem however: installation process starts, but before it gets to 50% complete it gives me an error and that installation should be restarted. So now I am in a continuous loop. I deselected all printer file installations just to keep it to minimum but no good. Also tried to install it on a partition but didnt work, still get half way through installation.

So basically, based on the progress I have made so far, and based on the nature of the errors received. Can anyone come up with a solution or next step to try?