iBook G3, can't connect to network

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chelmarsie, Feb 20, 2012.

1. chelmarsie macrumors newbie

Hello. We got our iBook G3 from friends awhile back. It had no internet. We bought the AirPort card and put it in. When I go to Safari it says no network detected. I got to Network Diagnostics. I found our location (the name of our network) and click on it. I hit continue and then it asks for either Built-in Ethernet or Internal Modem or AirPort or Other I click on AirPort and continue. It says Select AirPort Network but none showing. So I clicked on Use Closed Network button and it asks for my Network Name, type of wireless security and password. I put in our network name, and WEP (which is what our password security is set for) and then our password. Then it says this "Unable to join AirPort Network...this computer was unable to join the AirPort Network you selected. You may have entered an incorrect password or network name, chosen the wrong type of wireless security, or you may be out of range of the base station. To change your previous choices click Go Back. I know I put all the right specs in so I am not sure what is going on.

It is picking up our network name so it can't be out of range. I don't know what else to do.

here are specs on it:
    PowerBook4
    PowerPC 750 (22.15)
    Mac OS X version 10.4.11
    processor 500 MHz Power PC G3
    Memory 384 MB SDRAM
    serial # UV1296ZYLBT
    AirPort card is firmware version 9.52
    PLEASE HELP! I appreciate any and all help in this matter.
    Thanks so much,
    Penne

2. rynoburgy macrumors newbie

First of all, a powerpc g3 with only a 500mhz processor is NOT going to work well on any of the new websites of today, like youtube, yahoo, google. It is just too old and slow (trust me i have a mac pro with a 800 mhz and it has problems loading websites) anyways I might be able to help you with your problem as I have gone through this same thing many times.

1. Have you successfully connected to the internet on this computer before? (wired or wireless) Try plugging it in to your router directly and see if it works then.

2. Try to connect to another router other than your own. Go to a friend or neighbors house and try to connect to their router, see what happens.

3. Double check the name and password type for your router.

4. Check the routers settings. Go to http://home on a computer that is plugged into the internet, and check the SSID (name) password type, and password for the router.

5. Try turning off the password, at least temporarily (less chance of making a mistake while connecting)

6. Try resetting the router. Depending on what kind of router you have, most can be reset by pushing a button on the bottom or side of router itself, or through the http://home network browser. Be sure to hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds.

Let me know if any of these steps work for you, or at least the outcome of my suggestions.
    Sorry for such a late response,
    Ryan

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

...An 800mhz Mac Pro? I don't think so.

To the question, try hooking the iBook up through ethernet or dial up (if you still have it for whatever reason).

Also, most passwords ARE case sensitive. So just make doubly sure there.

Try another wireless computer or phone or whatever, just to see if the router is a-okay.

If none of them work, the only thing I can think of is a faulty card. If so, they're only a few quid of eBay.

4. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

You might want to check your router settings too to make sure it's not set to g or n only as the airport card in your powerbook uses the b standard.

5. AfterglowMP macrumors member

I'm struggling with my 9yo daughter's Ibook G3 which has an airport card in it.

I was using a Belkin 54g wireless router for the home network but recently had to replace it with a Belkin N600 D8. It outputs 802.11g, b and n so the Ibook should be able to use it, right?

Thanks

6. MacinDan macrumors regular

It depends on what security your router uses. If it's WPA2, the original airport card is not compatible. If it's WPA, you can connect if you're running Tiger, and I believe Panther, but I'm not positive about that. If you're running OS 9, you can connect with WEP only.

7. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

Can you get the iBook to pick up any networks at all? If anything, you could always try reseating the airport card. My iMac G4 had problems connecting to networks once and that solved the problem.

The OS shouldn't be conflicting, since you told us you are using WEP Security on your network. Mac OS 9, 10.1+ all support WEP networks as suggested. Like MacinDan said though, if you do have a WPA (not WPA2) network, you may need to upgrade your OS to Panther/Tiger. I'm not sure about Panther either but I know for sure Tiger supports WPA networks on the iBook G3 (w/ original airport).