iBook G3 Clam+10.2/10.3 BARE install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by torchwood04, Aug 26, 2007.

1. torchwood04 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm planning on buying a used iBook G3 300mhz Clamshell with 512mb ram, 3gb hdd. I want to know how small I can make 10.2 and/or 10.3 (WITH all the updates, etc) to run on the 3gb drive. I preferably want to use Panther, but no Tiger presently, as that's out of the question, plus the iBook will not have Firewire. I only plan to use the iBook for Safari browsing and Word 2004 (or .X), so yeah..

THanks for any help

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I believe if you leave out all the extras, you can get an install down to a little over 1GB. It's been a while since I did a stripped down install, but pretty sure that's the range. Definitely under 2GB in any case, so you should have enough space for a copy of Word and a few files..

One suggestion: If you're comfortable poking around inside a computer, you might see if you can find an older ~10GB drive to replace the 3GB one with. Not so much for the space, but for the speed, since you'll be limiting the access to the faster part of the drive.

I know I've got at least one 6GB 2.5" drive laying around at work, so I'd guess buying one used can't be that expensive...

3. torchwood04 thread starter macrumors regular

Okk, thank you :) . The problem is, removing and replacing the hard drive involves over 2 dozen screws, and taking out some system components, but for what I'm using it for, the iBook should be just fine I guess. By the way, were you referring to Jag or Pan in the size?

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

10.3, although I don't remember there being a huge difference between the two...

5. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

You should be fine, as a base install + the bsd subsystem is just over a gigabyte. Although, you may not have enough space for the virtual memory, but it will run.