iBook G3 Clamshell 366 FW - UPGRADE to 466?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by musicpenguy, Dec 8, 2011.

1. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I am wondering if it is possible to upgrade the logic board of a clamshell iBook from 366 to 466 - if I replace the logic board would everything work? - has anyone done this - what kind of speed advantages would there be? - I understand if i want XGA I need 466.

2. airdrummer macrumors newbie

airdrummer

3. tipman2000 macrumors member

tipman2000

lol, u guys are funny on here. i totally understand the whole old mac obsession but honestly why do such a small upgrade as 366 to 466 that will likely take an hour of your valuable time? :confused::)

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Some people might consider it a "fun" way to spend their free time ;)

5. tipman2000 macrumors member

tipman2000

true, true, sorry to troll with such an unnessecary question. cheers!

6. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

366 to 466 would make a ''large'' difference, a 100mhz boost on a 366mhz machine would in essence by a 35% power boost...

I wouldn't put myself through the stress of doing it but as AdrianK said, he may find it... ''fun''. I personally would probably end up drop kicking the thing through my window :)

7. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Seriously? Those were beautiful piece of equipment.

8. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I respect that a lot of people thought they were style icons, but (sadly) I've never really been fond of them, I've always thought they looked a bit childish, like the Vtech ABC 123 learning ones... The only time I could think of them looking good is next to a matching iMac G3 as a collector's piece.

9. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I tell you it is "beautiful". They can be used as starting computers for kids.

10. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

A computers appearance should have nothing to do with how useful someone finds it. Nothing wrong with the need for a pretty computer but it shouldn't be to the extent of not wanting one just because you think it's ugly. They are tools before anything else.

About the screen switch.. It's not the sub-466 boards that limit the resolution.. it's the LCD.

11. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I don't think they're very usable any more apart from word processing and web surfing, but as I said in my previous post, I think they're a great match up with an iMac G3. I wasn't trying to imply that I think they're ugly, therefore I hate them, I just think they're 'funky' to say the least ;)

----------

And yes, I agree it being a great 1st computer for kids as they have the handle and are pretty much bomb proof :)

12. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

13. Desert Mac macrumors newbie

You just don't get it

One of the greatest things about life is one's ability to choose how one spends it. People come here because others "get" what that means and help them out with good advice or supportive comments.

How much time do people waste watching "Dancing With the Stars" or some sports event?? What do they get from it? :confused:

I just won a Graphite 466 Clamshell on ebay and will be spending hours on it putting in a new HD, RAM, partitioning the HD and installing 9.2.2 and Panther, all because it brings me joy.:D

Desert Mac

14. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Upgrading, the most fun part of it.

First step, to clean it and restore it.