iBook G3 clamshell hard drive?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by mikeyrko, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mikeyrko macrumors member

Hi I just bought a iBook g3 466 keylime clamshell,
    I'm interested in changing the hard drive, I have done a good bit of reading and heard there is a easier way to replace it without removing 40 screws does anybody know?

2. Strimkind macrumors member

Not that I have heard. The 40 screws is the reason I have not even bothered opening up my tangerine clamshell to replace the stock 6GB HD.

3. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

If you do get a new hard drive make sure to get a ATA hard drive. SATA will not work in your ibook g3:)

4. MaxMike macrumors 6502

My friend did HD replacement and said it was utter hell. He said from his observation, there is no other way to free the drive other than to disassemble the entire machine. Thank god Apple changed that with the current lineup of notebooks :)

5. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I know of no way to make this process easier. I would loved to have swapped out the HD in my blueberry iBook, but the toil is just too great (not to mention the margin for error). I hope you find an easier way of getting that hard drive out. Please post here if you do, though I won't hold my breath. =)

6. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Perhaps the worst part of disassembling the clamshell iBook is that many of the screws and hex stand-offs are different sizes and lengths. Getting them in the wrong place (especially the hex standoffs) can be a nightmare requiring dis-assembly again.

I've only ever found a shortcut (from the "Apple way") on the iBook Dual USB (the white iBook) and later, and even then, it's NOT much of a shortcut.

Even though I've done it heaps of times and am pretty quick at it, it's still NOT a dis-assembly I like doing. Worse still is the 12" Powebook for something like the optical drive. :mad:

If you're stuck, iFixit Guides are an excellent resource:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/iBook-G3-Clamshell-Hard-Drive-Replacement/116/1

BTW, congratulations on getting a Key Lime.... that's a color I've only seen twice and it's pretty striking! :)

7. Desert Mac, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

Desert Mac macrumors newbie

IMHO, do it yourself, it's easy

>>

Guess the obvious answer is "Yes, let someone else do it for you.";) The reality is there is, and has been, a mystique painted around do-it-yourselfing on computers. It has gotten quite easy over the years and I guarantee you an average teenager could do the job, especially on these older machines.

Go to iFixit http://www.ifixit.com/pdf/ifixit/guide_116_en.pdf and download this pdf to your HD. Print the PDF to hard copy, the last two pages have screw layouts on them.

The tools you need are listed at the beginning of the PDF. Set aside a few hours in a quiet space. I use a card table for the parts and to work on the Clamshell with a clamp light next to the table. I put a small table next to it for just the screws with the pages taped to it. Put on some nice music (I like classical) and simply follow the directions without distraction.

I've done this on my Pismo, two different dual G3's, and a few times on my SE Clamshell. Only once have I had an extra screw left over. The last time I took apart my SE a few days ago it took about 20 mins to get down to the HD.

Don't let a little bit of focused effort rob you of the great feeling of hearing those chimes go off when you have just finished your work on your Mac.

8. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Congrats on finding a lime green clamshell! It is quite a rare unit plus being the fastest at 466mhz you have one of the final units. Be sure to put a 128mb stick in there for good measure.

It is tough to get the hard drive out but with time and patience you can do it. Like some one mentioned in this thread all ready be sure to watch screw lengths. You can really mess up the unit if you put on in that is too long.

Good luck and congrats!

9. mikeyrko thread starter macrumors member

I still have not replaced this Hd and with the prices going up it might be awhile. But I love this thing it is a beautiful computer works great for me for internet surfing it won't play a video but that the only thing.

10. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack