Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

13"C2DMBP<INTO>G3CLAMSHEL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2021
I'm going to start out by saying that in 5-8th grade I would buy repair (sometimes upgrade) and resell them on eBay before switching to bigger and better PowerMac's G3-G5 throughout High School until College, There I purchased a early 2011 15" Top Speck MacBook Pro of my very own... an i7 Mac!! I was stoked and have been dealing with them ever since.
Today although I wanted to cannot be my Teardown day but I wanted to at least start talking about this so this give me some time while the post has my G3 chargers in a different County.

I am going to be turning on of my favorite  Products (But not turned on in 5 years because I lost the power cord) The iBook ClamShell G3 into something I can use again. I have been working with, on, in, and under 2009 - 2019 Mac's in all possible facets for a few years now. Specializing in Saving 2011 MacbookPro8,2's from the plagued GPU failure. I also have saved many a destroyed 27" iMac's with there wonderful set of issues. Ive built iPad's/ iPod's from the bottom up... I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't doubt my physical or logical abilities to do this. But all the Forums I've come across simply dismiss the idea as two proprietarily, Things wont work together, battery power supply..... Has any one ever opened one up and made some room... its just plastic, but that's neither here nor there today... as demo cannot start until I get that G3 powered up for the last time...

Main plan:

G3 iBook Clamshell Tangerine 333MHz
-Complete Disassemble G3 iBook Clamshell Tangerine down to bear plastic,
-Remove integrated proprietary track pad
-Patch all pre made holes along sides where old ports where located.
-Remove color, and Frost from all Plastics
-Measure and cut G3 for display
-Create space for larger screen size
-Add Plastic (From Downer Clamshell) to create Widescreen Area above and below
-Create cut out for new keyboard and track pad set up
-Fab for G3 hinge so screen shuts off when closed
-Measure for logic board and battery
- Once installed Vinyl wrap behind keys and keys or purchase white keys
-Drill holes for the inputs on the board
-Mark and add pegs from logic board to screw into (plastic weld)
-Vinyl Wrap Tangerine Parts of Plastic Color was removed
-Reassemble new Clamshell 13" MacBook Pro
= The perfect Head turning coffee table Laptop ever...

2010 13" MacBook Pro Intel 2.4GHz C2C
- Complete Disassemble
- Remove Keyboard and Keyboard from Unibody
- Remove Screen and Assembly
- Parts bin Unibody...

Let me know your thoughts...
IMG_5356.JPG

• Love
Reactions: arn and AngerDanger

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Doing something like this has been my dream since I was a kid. The G3 iMac and iBook are among my favorite Apple designs, so it's really cool to think of someone actually giving this conversion a go.

My only feedback (without any knowledge of how this kind of modding actually works) is regarding these points:
-Remove color, and Frost from all Plastics
-Add Plastic (From Downer Clamshell) to create Widescreen Area above and belowe

I'd personally try to keep as much of it original as possible cosmetically, so removing the color and frosting it would be antithetical to that.

To create less work, I'd probably also look into a 4:3 iPS display as close in size to the original as possible. Seems like that'd lower the amount of parts you need to heavily mod or make yourself—especially since it looks like the MBP's display won't fit in anyway?

In any case, I look forward to seeing your progress! :)

Reactions: ScreenSavers

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Sounds like a fun project but I must object to using a functional machine. The clamshells are getting harder to find in good working condition.

13"C2DMBP<INTO>G3CLAMSHEL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2021
IMG_5460.jpeg
Loads of Changes now that I've moved, I can finally start the G&S Technologies T-PROJECT
IMG_5480.jpeg

Some photos of what I have now. Laying down the framework for this machine. Cannot wait until I can use my Clamshell again!
65368051143__84F5FD56-C901-4038-BB1E-2834176D263E.jpeg
IMG_5494.jpeg
IMG_5495.jpeg
TC-PROJECT_001.jpg

Thinking about a 14" ISP Display, but we are going to have to loose some spring strength, man you would think I never used this thing... Will continue to update! Hope you enjoy the progress!

-Cheers
G&S Technologies

Attachments

• 65368051143__84F5FD56-C901-4038-BB1E-2834176D263E.jpeg
    65368051143__84F5FD56-C901-4038-BB1E-2834176D263E.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_5480.jpeg
    IMG_5480.jpeg
    562.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_5460.jpeg
    IMG_5460.jpeg
    612.3 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_5494.jpeg
    IMG_5494.jpeg
    625.5 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_5495.jpeg
    IMG_5495.jpeg
    453.6 KB · Views: 215
  • TC-PROJECT_001.jpg
    TC-PROJECT_001.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 230

Misseeee

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2021
Hey! Any updates on how it's going? I'm super interested in doing something similar with my Clamshell; it's my dream project. I noticed siivel used an aviation grade LCD 12.1 which fit in and also provided a hires replacement. These can be found on aliexpress or ebay. Best of luck!
E

Reactions: AngerDanger

rorydaredking

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2014
I’m interested too, mainly because I’m doing the same. Have a UHD 12.5 inch screen which fits width ways once I make some cuts, but as it’s too small height wise I have some glass to fill the gaps which is screenprinted to suit.

keyboard to usb seems to be doable - see step 18 here https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Make-a-USB-Laptop-Keyboard-Controller/

trackpad I think is doable too but I’m probably going to cut the top case for the trackpad from my donor MacBook (2 thunderbolt 2019 model). Have an FTDI TTL to USB converter, if that works I’m sure my wife will be happy with old school trackpad and buttons looking native. (Synaptics guide here https://www.aquaphoenix.com/hardware/ledlamp/reference/synaptics_touchpad_interfacing_guide.pdf trackpad is serial type)

big issue is power as the LCD controller needs 12v DC so I’m having to look at fairly decent external battery packs with multiple USB-C PD ports - so I can have a single cable plug in and that will charge the battery pack with pass through to laptop for charging laptop battery.

will need a small internal USB-C hub to connect to internal battery pack and output to the display controller board.

as It’s only the 2 thunderbolt model I’ll end up with just a single output port externally to plug things into which will be fine.

been 10 months collecting parts for this, need to actually get started!

michaelbroyles1

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2014
I'd give anything to know how this went and if you have a "how to" guide. My tangerine clamshell was my most favorite computer ever. I was devastated when it died. I still have and would love to do this!

rorydaredking

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2014
Well, I got to a point where I should have been functionally complete. I did a first fit and with the display board, USB hubs and logic board, and the USB cables it was not a proper fit. So I got smaller and more flexible cables, adjusted board placement and have it another go. All fitted fine.

The problem now was the logic board decides to not want to power the display controller unless the charger is plugged in. I really can’t work out the USB power logic on these because whilst I knew that shortcoming in both intel and M1 MacBook airs, when bench testing for the last forever with my i5 MacBook Pro, I had never had it fail to power the board when on battery. To have an identical (except RAM) board now doing this was baffling.

So I gave up for now but I’ll inevitably go back to it. Possibly next week when I have run out of decorating jobs to do during my leave from work. It’s a real shame if I can’t get it to work because I’ve cannibalised both a MBP and an iBook, and neither will be particularly useful after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.