iBook G3 Connection Problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by trewyn15, Feb 1, 2014.

1. trewyn15 macrumors 6502

Hey all, I bought an iBook G3 AS-IS, it's 600MHz, 256MB memory and 30GB HDD. I popped it open and it even included the Airport card, all for $20. I have since maxed out the memory and it's running pretty well.

Currently I am running 10.4.11 on 640MB RAM.

I am having plenty of trouble connecting to WiFi though. I did all of the Software Updates that were optioned through Software Update in the dropdown menu, through ethernet. I now went from WEP passwords to WPA Personal.

The problem seems to be that the security on my computer is WPA 2 so the laptop is not able to connect.

Is there a walk around to this that doesn't consist of changing my router security? I use WPA 2 at home, office and school.

This computer is planned to be just an internet and word processing computer, but it's sounding like it will only be able to be half.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Here's the iBook before the Tiger install for whoever's interested :D

[​IMG]
    Untitled by trewyn15, on Flickr

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Airport B cards cannot connect to a WPA2 only network. Starting with 10.3.9 and higher, they can connect to WPA and WPA/WPA2 networks. They sometimes cannot connect to a network if it is set for B/G/N all on the 2.4Ghz band, unless the N is turned off.

3. trewyn15 thread starter macrumors 6502

So if I go in an change my router to WPA/WPA2 I should be fine? Possibly turn the N off as well?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, try leaving it at b/g/n. Only some routers give it a problem with N mode being on.

5. trewyn15 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay cool, now if I could only figure out how to get into my router configuration. No password combinations seem to be working for me for some reason.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My router is capable of WPA2, but I have to have it in WPA mode because my son's TiBook only has the original Airport card. Not sure if I have N or not, but if I do, only my iPhone 5 could use it. Everything else is B/G.

So, my router is running in mixed mode. Works for us.

Note that even with WPA you CANNOT use AES encryption. The Airport card will see the network but will refuse to connect. TKIP only.

----------

Do a Google search for your router model and default password.

Unless someone changed it, it's probably set to the default.

7. trewyn15 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am currently runnning WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

I was able to make a 'guest' network running WEP only, this will work good for when I bring this laptop home.

My password to get into my router was the same, admin for the user and password was the password, for Netgear, if anyone runs across this same issue.

Thank you both for the input, didn't realize there would be a WAP compatibility issue, but glad you both could help me to figure it out!