Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
I was given a second chance offer through eBay for a G3 iBook for $300.
It's a 12" iBook G3, 500MHz, 10gb HD, Airport card, and 384MB. I currently have a 1.5 15" PB, but feel it's too "powerful" for what I do. I mostly use it for word processing and 'net use, so I think it's a waste of money since I don't fully utilize its power. So, is this a good deal for $300? Please let me know...as I have 17 hours remaining until this offer is voided! Thanks a lot!

PS - I have Tiger. Will it work?

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
Olde Englande
There's a thread about the same model iBook today.

Yes, it will run Tiger, but if you run many apps at the same time it might be a bit slow on account of the RAM.

What optical drive is in it? I'd imagine you at least need a CD burner if not a combo drive, but if you have a few extra bucks (from the PB sale that should be an understatement) and are adventurous you could replace whatever is in there anyway.

$300 sounds not bad i guess. You could always sell it on for a marginal loss if any later, so why not go for it.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Your going to have a crapload of extra money after selling the PowerBook. I don't think that old iBook is sufficient to run Tiger, you need something a bit more powerfull. I would recommend buying a new iBook, they are much cheaper and pack a good punch, that way you won't feel like your throwing away money. You can get a good deal on an iBook for around $1100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.