iBook G3 from OWC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by product26, May 21, 2007.

1. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

So on XLR8yourmac i saw a link to the OWC clearance page. They had 2 g3 ibooks left (out of a whole bunch that they have been selling).

One was only $39 and was listed as **CD DRIVE BAD** BAD LCD**
    I thought, hey i can probably part it out and make some money on it.

Ordered it, and when it got here I plugged it in and it works flawlessly. Screen worked, cd drive works, everything.

The next day i turn it on and the screen is all scrambled and garbled. I thought it must have been the notorious G3 video/logic board problem. But when i moved the screen, the garbled images changed. This made me think that it must be a connection issue. Sure enough when i popped off the LCD cover, the connection was loose. Plugged it in and it works perfectly.

$45 later and i have a perfectly working iBook G3 500mhz.

The casing is a bit beat up, so i am stripping the white paint on the inside, and painting it black.

:D

anybody have a 12in ibook g3 battery? (translucent white)
    working or not

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Sweet deal bud, I bought an 800 MHz one for $350 (using it to type this post) and it has chargeing/battery problems (not sure which, either it's not getting a full charge (DC Board Problem) or if the battery is just crap) These G3 iBook's still have a lot of life in them!

3. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Nice deal man. I paid around $450 for the iBook in my sig and that was before the RAM upgrade. For $45 it's still a very capable laptop. For me, it was my first Mac and what an awesome way to get into Mac, I have no regrets with my iBook at all. Have fun with that little beauty. :D

4. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

for me it is a little trip down memory lane.

My first mac was an iBook 600mhz. I paid $1500 for it new.

5. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

Well... i have decided to drop some cash in to this iBook and turn it in to a tablet.

So far I have stripped the paint from the inside and repainted it black.

I reversed the screen and cut the top to make a bezel.

Now I need to pick up a touch screen overlay.
    I was thinking about going with: ezscreen because they are cheap and have os x drivers.

Anybody have any other suggestions on touch screen overlays?