Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland

First ones almost certainly not - i remember that one of MR members had compatibility problem with these.

Second ones certainly not - it's server memory, will be not recognized by your iMac.

Grab these: http://cgi.ebay.com/512MB-PC133-APP...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58880c3a3c or similar, made by known brands like Hynix, Kingston, Nanya for example.
These will fit in internal slot only.
Second slot (known as "user accesible") needs PC100 or 133 SO DIMM memory, like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Kingston-512-MB...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c12e8ed9a

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I cannot guarantee. It might work, but not for sure. For some reason, some "no name" sticks (even with matching specs) are not working in G4 Macs. What is interesting, almost every well known brand's sticks will work with no probs.
My personal guess is, that it has something to do with chips which they are made from.
My advice is: for 100% compatibility choose Crucial/Micron, Kingston, Hynix, Nanya, Corsair or even Samsung sticks (with matching specs ofc).

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Spend a tad more and buy used RAM that is listed as compatible with your machine. When it comes to memory (at least on PowerPC) macs are by far one of the most fickle platforms.

I bought 4x 512 MB PC 133 on ebay for under 100 shipped. It is also Crucial RAM that I got. I understand they don't make it themselves but they only use high end parts.

"tubabug" is the best seller on ebay to go to for used mac memory.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i guess the bump was him falling of his chair when you did mention the price you paid for the ram
the thing is the older the mac the older the ram used , and the older the ram the more expensive it gets to buy new ram sticks

you can buy no name ram , i bought in the past allways brand names and payed loads of moaney , but i tried a couple times now to buy of "global-memory" at ebay , and i am very pleased with their service and ram
they only send you the ram after you confirmed the spec of your mac you want the ram for :)

and best of all they process your order very fast

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
i guess the bump was him falling of his chair when you did mention the price you paid for the ram
the thing is the older the mac the older the ram used , and the older the ram the more expensive it gets to buy new ram sticks

you can buy no name ram , i bought in the past allways brand names and payed loads of moaney , but i tried a couple times now to buy of "global-memory" at ebay , and i am very pleased with their service and ram
they only send you the ram after you confirmed the spec of your mac you want the ram for :)

and best of all they process your order very fast

The 97 I paid was for 4 512MB sticks. He only needs 1 or 2.. tubabug would charge about 18-25 each for those. So 50 tops.

It's better to spend a bit more and be sure it will work fine. Personally I would rather spend 20 or so on a stick I know will work 100% rather than 10-12 on one that isn't a sure thing and even if it "works" you may still experience kernel panics.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i even would spend £30 on a working stick rather then the hassle to spend 10 and having to go through the process of returning and get refunded in case it doesn't work , said that i once spend just under £3 inclusive postage for a 512mb stick for one of my iMac g3 , and working perfectly , but thats a gamble

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
OP, to clear out your question: you're now (after edit) asking about 2 sticks for your iMac G4 (one for internal slot - DIMM, and one for "user accessible" slot - SODIMM) to max out RAM? Correct?

If so: for internal go for these brands that i listed or gamble with "no name" RAM like MacHamster suggested. You need 512MB PC133 DIMM.
For "user accessible" you will need 512MB PC133 SODIMM (laptop one). I suggest (for 100% compatiblity) to choose stick from vendors listed for DIMMs.
It will give you total 1 GB RAM amount, which is max for your machine.

If you want to buy cheaper "no name" sticks, ask seller for compatibility with your Mac or return possibility first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.