iBook G3 Original Software CDs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by reco2011, May 25, 2014.

1. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

New member here who has been a Mac users since the LC II days. Recently I acquired an iBook G3 as I wanted to natively run the classic Mac OS. I have a copy of Mac OS 9.2.1 and wanted to install it on this iBook.

I thought I was buying a late 2001-tr 600MHz model which can use 9.2.1 however it ended up being the 600MHz VRAM-tr model. This model requires Mac OS 9.2.2. Since Apple never released a retail copy of Mac OS 9.2.2 I have to use the original media which shipped with the system in order to install it. I've found a few places selling this media but the price is completely unreasonable. I bought this system for nostalgia reasons but I'm not willing to spend a few hundred dollars just to obtain the original media.

My question is: Does anyone know where I can obtain either the original media or a copy of it (I feel this is legal since the system was licensed with it so I should not be violating any copyright...though if someone feels differently please let me know)? Media needs to be CD as that's what this system has.

Alternatively if you know of a way I can integrate the 9.2.2 update into the 9.2.1 image I'd be interested in hearing about that too.

I'm also interested in an Airport card for this system if anyone has one they'd like to unload at a reasonable price.

2. Dannyshing27 macrumors regular

Dannyshing27

I found the following post to be very useful

http://vintagemacmuseum.com/reinstalling-mac-os-9-on-a-powermac-g4-mdd/

whilst it is specifically about G4 mdd if you put the OS9 folder on a partition or in your applications folder and bless it by running classic in OSX you can then boot to it by holding alt at start up or selecting a start up disk and therefore run 9.2.2 natively.

3. reco2011 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wanted to follow up and say thank you to everyone for responding both here and via e-mail. Through your assistance I was able to find what I was looking for. I now have Mac OS 9.2.2 booting on my iBook G3.