iBook G3 Power Issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SuperCompu2, Apr 13, 2008.

1. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

The family computer (iBook G3 700MHz/384/20/10.3) Has developed a problem, where any pressure on the underside of the left palm rest makes the computer immediately shut off. I originally thought it was the typical graphics issue that iBooks suffer, but for it to completely just cut out is a little strange...

Anyone else have similar experiences? Anyone know how to remedy the situation? I was hoping something simple would fix this, but it seems a shim would only worsen things as pressure kills the iBook immediately!!

Help!

2. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

yeah happened on my sisters laptop. just have to take it in to da storee

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Having something like a small piece of metal (foil, screw, stripped screw shavings) floating around on the board can cause it to short and therefore shut down in a snap. It sounds like perhaps the pressure on the palmrest is creating a short by completing a circuit with something floating in there. I've seen it happen on other areas of the board and can't see why it couldn't happen there too. Time for a little surgery!

4. SuperCompu2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Sounds logical. I'll probably tear it apart tonight when I get a chance. It's odd that it just randomly shorts out, and I figured it's probably a stray piece of metal completing a short circuit.