iBook G3 slot load drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by foothead, Apr 19, 2009.

1. foothead macrumors regular

I'm sure I'm not the only person that thinks the iBook's tray loading drive is horrible. The most annoying thing, in my opinion is that it has no button to open it, so I have to use the computer. If I wanted to insert a disk, I'd have to wait to boot it up. I finally just decided to do something about it. I completely took the ibook apart, put the drive in,and put it back together, only to realize that it wasn't detected. I did some searching, and found that apple's slot load drives are permanently set for master. I got the users manual for my HD, and set it to slave (on G3's the HD and CD-ROM are RAIDed together). I went to plug it back in and realized that the HD cable covered up the jumpers, so I couldn't change the settings. My way around this was to bend down both wires, and create a solder bridge between them. I put the laptop back together, booted it up, inserted a CD, *anxiously waiting* and then saw a CD icon appear in my dock. Success! I tested it out, and found it to work perfectly.
    My next step will be to make a custom faceplate out of the tray-loading one.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. foothead thread starter macrumors regular

4. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Well done! I'm just waiting to see someone take a 12" PowerBook case and put in Intel architecture lol.