iBook G3 will not install Mac OS 9

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by p0intblank, May 23, 2007.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Hi, I'm trying to reinstall Mac OS 9 for my friend on her iBook. When I boot from CD and go to install the OS, I get an error message reading:

"Sorry, a system error occurred.

bus error
    To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key."

I tried holding down the shift key, but that doesn't help. Any suggestions?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

3. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

I didn't mention this before, but I also installed 10.4. For some reason the iBook would hang on the Apple logo screen. So I thought maybe there were some compatibility issues going on... so I formatted the drive and installed 10.3 instead. The same thing occurs. I installed it from my PowerBook via Target Disk Mode (which is very nice, by the way), but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

I don't know what to do from here... I'm running out of options.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I don't suppose you're lucky enough to have the hardware test disc for that machine? Can you get it far enough booting (from an OS X disc) to see if anything turns up in verbose mode that might be interesting?

5. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

No, I don't have the OS 9 hardware discs... but I do have the ones for my iMac G3. However that's not working out. So I figured to say just screw it and try to install OS X again. This time I get as far as "Processing" in the installation process and it eventually hangs on 7 minutes remaining mark.

Any idea why this cannot continue installing? The hard drive verifies fine before installation. I was thinking maybe I need OS 9 installed prior to OS X? But OS X gets far enough that I think it's going to be fine, when clearly it is not.

Ugh, so frustrating... please, anyone? :(

6. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I've had this problem before too on my G3's and early G4's, and I had to do a clean install first with OS 9 and then put OS X over it.

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Did you make sure the hard drive has OS 9 drivers installed when you erase?

8. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

I believe OS 9 was installed before I erased the drive. I didn't mention this before, but 10.2 was also installed. I have another method that I'm going to try tomorrow... I'll get back to you with an update.

9. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

I was so close this time! I installed "Tiger" on my 3G iPod since it uses FireWire and that went well. I could even boot the iBook using my iPod, which is very sweet by the way. So then I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my iPod's drive onto the iBook's internal drive. I got as far as the desktop, but everything wouldn't load in the Menu Bar (user name, time, application icons, etc.).

So after waiting a few minutes, the screen goes blue and loads the desktop again, followed by the Menu Bar not completely loading. This would continue on in a neverending cycle. Any ideas?

I may try doing the same thing tomorrow, but this time with "Panther." Oh and I did try to install Mac OS 9 on my iPod as well, but it says it's not compatbile with my PowerBook G4.

10. Bunsen Burner macrumors regular

Thread title states "iBook G3 will not install Mac OS 9". Your last post begins "I was so close this time! I installed "Tiger" on my 3G iPod since it uses FireWire and that went well. I could even boot the iBook using my iPod[...]"

What are trying to accomplish, an OS 9 installation or MacOS X?

It doesn't matter what was installed before you erased the drive. You must install OS 9 drivers at reformat.

BB

11. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I know, the thread title is misleading. My main goal is to get a working version of OS X on this iBook. Does OS 9 have to be installed prior to anything else? I've done this on my Power Mac G4 with no problem. However on my iMac G3, I do believe I had to instlall OS 9 beforehand.

12. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

When you erase the hard drive you need to make sure to format it with the OS 9 drivers included. I don't think installing in order matters.

13. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

I thought I already did this, but I'll try again right now. Thanks!

14. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

By the way, I've run into problems with 3rd party RAM not being compatible with either OS 9 or OS X (original 3rd party RAM for 500 mHz TiBook not compatible with the OS 10.3 ad 10.4). Never did figure out why. Caused the same symptoms you are getting, i.e. getting only partially through install.

15. aquajet macrumors 68020

This sounds more like a hardware failure of some sort. Remove any extra RAM installed and try again.