iBook G3 Won't Power On

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rosser, Jun 28, 2012.

1. rosser macrumors newbie

I recently was given an iBook G3 (I think it is 16 VRAM, A1005). I however was given it without a charger. I bought one on eBay and it came today, but after finally getting it to fit in, (and I know it is the right charger for it), it wouldn't turn on. With, or without the battery. I just get a black screen with no chime. What should I do? I think this computer was rarely if even at all used previously.
    Any thoughts?

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

If it wasn't used much, let it sit for a few hours on the charger. The battery is probably flat and it's possible that the PRAM battery may have discharged as well.

Letting it sit for a few hours will recharge the battery and if the PRAM battery is rechargeable that will recharge too. Assuming the charging system is working.

Usually, when a PRAM battery goes flat a Mac exhibits all the signs of being completely dead. It takes a while to recharge the PRAM battery.

If you wait and it boots and the time has been reset then you'll know that the PRAM battery was discharged.

All of this assumes that you have previously tried to reset the PMU.

3. rosser thread starter macrumors newbie

I was messing around under the keyboard and under that ram cover thingy, and I accedantely broke the connectors and the plastic thingy that is with the gold ribben cable :( did i seriously justmess that up , or is that cable not important.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think iBooks have PRAM batteries. They use the main laptop battery to keep the system's clock running.

5. rosser thread starter macrumors newbie

What about the ribbon cable/connectors I just messed up? :confused:

6. rosser thread starter macrumors newbie

I was told on another forum that it was the keyboard to logic board connector i broke lol. so what should I do to get the computer to work. just leave it charging for a little bit?

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

OK, thanks. I made an assumption based on the Powerbooks I've owned. I have exactly one iBook and I never used it for myself.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It was a good assumption. Based on Apple's history of laptops, only its iBook line omitted one. In hindsight, not a really good thing to leave out.