iBook G3?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wonga1127, Apr 12, 2007.

1. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

I just got an iMac G5, and it's great, but it would be awesome to have a little 12.1" iBook to carry around for school and whatnot. I don't really like the clamshell models, but I was looking at the white ones that came out after those. I'm just having a hard time deciding on the specs that I'm looking for. I would like to be able to run iLife and Office for school. Suggestions please.

2. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I used an ibook g3 600mhz just for that up until last year. it worked great and was fairly quick

3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I think you should at least get an iBook G4 because:
    1. Has Leopard Support, the G3 doesn't
    2. Has a Velocity Engine
    3. Could install more ram

4. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

^ Agreed, if you can afford an ibook G4, and can get a decent price on one, then you should go for it for all those reasons, plus ibook G3s tended to have logic board failures. I'm not sure about the rate of failure on the logic boards, but since apple issued a recall a couple of years ago, I would imagine that its quite a bit higher than the industry average.

5. iowamensan macrumors 6502

I just bought 20 12" G4 iBooks from pcmallgov a few weeks ago, but I can't find any on their website. MacMall and PCMall also had 12" G4 iBooks for $700, but I only see 14"s listed now for $899. For that price you might as well get a MacBook.
    If you are interested in a clamshell, PM me as I have one for sale.
    Geoff

6. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

I'm using an iBook G3 (specs in sig) as my main machine right now. Only because I wanted to switch to Mac for a relatively low price. I would say that for your needs an iBook G3 900mhz with maxed RAM should do what you want. I'm just not 100% sure about iLife, I spoke to a lot of people about that before I bought mine and they all said it would run fine. You obviously cannot get 06 though, it would have to be 05 or earlier. I haven't gotten iLife for mine yet, but I do plan on trying it. If you don't NEED to run Leopard, than a G3 is fine. I'm running Panther right now, but I plan on upgrading to Tiger very soon. Of course a G4 would be nicer, but if you want a relatively inexpensive laptop that is capable of handling everyday tasks plus a little extra, a G3 should suit your needs. Good luck! :D

7. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

http://www.techrestore.com/

See details iBook G3/700 Combo 12-inch
    Part Number:: TR1081

iBook G3/700 256MB Memory, 20GB Drive, CD-RW-DVD Optical Drive, 12-inch LCD Screen
    Retail Price: $549.99
    Our price: $399.99, save 27%

I bought my iBook G3 that I had a while ago from there. It was a 500MHz G3 with 384MB RAM, 20GB HDD, and it ran really well. I got mine through a rapid deal for $200 + shipping. Just sign up for the weekly specials and you can get some killer deals.