Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 3, 2016
I picked up a ibook g4 17” + charger for $20 at a local thrift store. Gambled on the battery - turned out to be a dud, soI have a new one & 1ghz if ram on the way for $22 shipped, so I figure I won’t have too much into it to flip on eBay ($42 USD).

I still need to clean the KB a bit more but the first cleanup went pretty well. There’s still some faint lines of magic marker (idiot) but I’ll work on those some more to get them out fully.
F393BE42-88DE-491B-AEE0-F584215B222F.jpeg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You can easily get $50 for it.

That's how much I paid for my daughter's iBook G4 way back when and it was in good condition then. Right now it needs a nw DC Inverter but I have been unwilling to dedicate the time to cracking that case open and breaking things to fix it.

Reactions: AphoticD

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany

That's how much I paid for my daughter's iBook G4 way back when and it was in good condition then. Right now it needs a nw DC Inverter but I have been unwilling to dedicate the time to cracking that case open and breaking things to fix it.
I use to clean them with desinfectant based on isopropyl-alcohol. Very helpful to remove dirt and "bio-hazards" :D
And I'm always astonished how that loud cracking, when opening the case, doesn't leave any damage at all.
Kind of good quality ...

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017

I know how you feel, but the DC board is possibly the easiest repair on the iBooks. Just the bottom plastic cover and EMI shields need to come off and it is right there.

Go slow and steady with the cracking. I find it’s best to start around the side with the I/O ports and work back toward the display hinge. Use a spudger to prevent case damage and avoid sticking a screwdriver between the soft plastics :)
[doublepost=1527377468][/doublepost]
I picked up a ibook g4 17” + charger for $20 at a local thrift store. Gambled on the battery - turned out to be a dud, soI have a new one & 1ghz if ram on the way for $22 shipped, so I figure I won’t have too much into it to flip on eBay ($42 USD).

I still need to clean the KB a bit more but the first cleanup went pretty well. There’s still some faint lines of magic marker (idiot) but I’ll work on those some more to get them out fully. View attachment 763144

Nice cleanup @RhianB. I scored the 1.33Ghz version of that model last week and it took a bit of a cleanup, but just like yours it came up looking near brand new.

It’s not a bad machine really and quite capable. It will run OS9 with the MacOs9Lives “Unsupported” release. Just be sure to partition the HDD via Firewire TDM using an OS9 capable Mac (like your QS). This will allow you to choose the “Install Mac OS 9 Drivers” when partitioning.

Reactions: eyoungren

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 3, 2016
The new battery & ram arrived finally so I finished up the detailed clean, tdm leopard image & all is running well.

09278E85-050B-485F-A292-6DD76BAE81E7.jpeg

TDM
879E09B9-FA44-4FE8-B907-02ABB39411AB.jpeg

Detail

This thing originally had panther & some neat apps (TH pro skater 4, Deimos Rising, Sound Studio & AppleWorks 6) so I added those to my leopard & tiger images prior to wiping it.

One drag is despite repeated treatments with Iso Alcohol scrubs, bleach pen treatments, there’s still some ghosting from the brainiac who went at this with a marker.
7F564231-F342-44C0-BCBB-EE2F2D92AA7E.jpeg

If anyone has a technique to remove this last bit, please share. Overall however this ibook cleaned up pretty well.

Reactions: eyoungren

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
The new battery & ram arrived finally so I finished up the detailed clean, tdm leopard image & all is running well.

View attachment 765006
TDM
View attachment 765007
Detail

This thing originally had panther & some neat apps (TH pro skater 4, Deimos Rising, Sound Studio & AppleWorks 6) so I added those to my leopard & tiger images prior to wiping it.

One drag is despite repeated treatments with Iso Alcohol scrubs, bleach pen treatments, there’s still some ghosting from the brainiac who went at this with a marker.
View attachment 765009
If anyone has a technique to remove this last bit, please share. Overall however this ibook cleaned up pretty well.

Try rubbing alcohol + magic eraser. Worked for me.

Damn you, Sid Stoc!

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 3, 2016
IIRC magic eraser is bleach based cleanser + abrasive melamine sponge so I worry about scratching/buffing the plastic. A polish wouldnt do anything other than make it shiny.

Still, as it’s in the plastic, I may have no choice other than to use a mild abrasive & abrade/buff it out with the magic eraser, then attempt a polish of some sort. Hmm, guess I’ll give it a shot on a little spot on the bottom.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
IIRC magic eraser is bleach based cleanser + abrasive melamine sponge so I worry about scratching/buffing the plastic. A polish wouldnt do anything other than make it shiny.

Still, as it’s in the plastic, I may have no choice other than to use a mild abrasive & abrade/buff it out with the magic eraser, then attempt a polish of some sort. Hmm, guess I’ll give it a shot on a little spot on the bottom.

I actually have used a magic eraser to clean up an iBook G4 with various marks, and it really has worked out well for me. Got everything out.

You don't have to if you're paranoid, but...it is an iBook G4...

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 3, 2016
I’ll test it on the bottom first. As Im selling this one, regardless of what it is, my goal is to detail it without doing any damage to the plastics. Whoever buys it I’m sure would appreciate that level of attention. Or not. Either way, that’s how I roll.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I’ll test it on the bottom first. As Im selling this one, regardless of what it is, my goal is to detail it without doing any damage to the plastics. Whoever buys it I’m sure would appreciate that level of attention. Or not. Either way, that’s how I roll.

Well, you didn't say you were selling it. Do as you like, man.

Reactions: 1042686
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.