Ibook g4 1,67 ghz?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by krypticos, Oct 20, 2008.

1. krypticos macrumors regular

i was just wanting to know if there was a 12" ibook that came with 1.67 ghz speed processor. because i cant find anything on it online. im also wanting to know if 120 dollars for it being broken is a good deal the hd is broke an the combo drive and that is all he said. thank u for your time.

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

Nope. I had the last 12" iBook they made and it was a 1.33GHz. The 14" model only got to 1.42GHz.

HDs are pretty cheap, but if this person is lying about the speed, what else is he/she lying about?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Right... these are the specs for the final iBook.

http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=ibook_g4_mid_05&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC&range=

There were two generations of Powerbooks that went that fast, though...

http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=pg4_duallayer&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC&range=
    http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=pg4_15167&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC&range=

But AFAIK, even the 12" Powerbook never got to 1.67 GHz... only the bigger Powerbooks.

As for buying a broken notebook and fixing it... consider:

- Do you have the technical skill to open an iBook (whatever the specs are) and replace these components?

- Do you have any way to verify that the rest of the computer works properly?

A later spec iBook G4 used, right now, fetches something around $300-450 depending on specs, where/how it's sold (e.g. more for eBay because of fees), etc. If you're really right about what needs to be repaired, and you can do the labor yourself, you can probably have it running again for $200.

I personally however would say it isn't worth it. If you really need to buy a $200 notebook, you'll get much more performance from a used $200 Windows notebook (or even a used Netbook -- EeePC 701's can be had for $225-250 now, and I love mine having bought it for $400 a year ago).

4. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the quick replays and its 1064 mhz it was a typo in the email. by chance what is the biggest hd a 12" ibook and recognize. im looking at this hd.
    thank you

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I do believe that all G4 iBooks had support for larger hard drives over 128gb. I think the biggest 2.5" IDE/ATA drive that I've seen is a 250gb monster. You can find combo drives for under $20 for the ibooks or just slam a superdrive into that sucker. Those go from $30-$50.

Check out iFixIt.com for all the guides that you'll ever need. Here

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, it shouldn't matter. Just make sure you buy a PATA drive, as above. And I think there may possibly be some 2.5" IDE / ATA / PATA drives that are not 9.5mm tall... (I think the other variant was 12.5mm) you want to make sure you get one that is 9.5mm tall.

7. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

well all the optical drives im seeing are for like 80-90 dollars for cdreader or combo. were should i look for better priced stuff.

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

ummmm... eBay! I just sold a combo drive on there for $20. Guess I was on the low side too :( I've sold the same ones before for upwards of $50.