Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Hi, I've previously owned a 12" iBook G4 1.07GHz, and had a resolution of 1024 X 768 on my 17" DELL P780 display. Now I have a 1.33GHz G4 iBook. Same size. Wouldn't go past 800 X 600, and is annoying as F*CK!!! PLEASE HELP! I tried restarting, Display Preferences, EVERYTHING!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Rhalliwell1

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
i had the exact same problem a while back. To find a solution i searched and searched google for ages and in the end i had to delete a file/folder, reboot and then all was good.

Problem: can't remember for the life of me what file/folder was.

i think it could be System>Library>MonitorPanels>AppleDisplay.monitorPanels but not 100% on this

What i would do is copy that to your desktop, rename it (remembering the old name). Delete the original (@ System>Library>MonitorPanels>AppleDisplay.monitorPanels) then reboot. If it works os x will create a new one on start up, if it doesn't change the name of the original one back to AppleDisplay.monitorPanels and copy it back to System>Library>MonitorPanels

Good Luck :D

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
i had the exact same problem a while back. To find a solution i searched and searched google for ages and in the end i had to delete a file/folder, reboot and then all was good.

Problem: can't remember for the life of me what file/folder was.

i think it could be System>Library>MonitorPanels>AppleDisplay.monitorPanels but not 100% on this

What i would do is copy that to your desktop, rename it (remembering the old name). Delete the original (@ System>Library>MonitorPanels>AppleDisplay.monitorPanels) then reboot. If it works os x will create a new one on start up, if it doesn't change the name of the original one back to AppleDisplay.monitorPanels and copy it back to System>Library>MonitorPanels

Good Luck :D

Let's hope you're right! :rolleyes:

rtheb

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
From Apple Discussions

OS X's display preferences files may have corrupted somehow. Especially since it worked before and now it doesn't. That really sounds like a problem with the configuration of the Mac.

In /Library/Preferences is a file called com.apple.windowserver.plist. Navigate your way to it and throw it in the trash. Also, in your main user account (folder with your name on it) under ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost will also be found a file com.apple.windowserver.xxxxxxxxxx.plist where the xxxxx is a hexidecimal string of letters and numbers. Throw that file in the trash, too. Now restart.

When OS X restarts and finds those files missing from their expected location, it creates fresh copies with default values. This will give a clean start with any attached display. Be aware that by throwing out the above files, you will also lose any custom color calibrations you may have performed (assuming you had performed any), so they will have to be redone.

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
NONE of the worked!!! :mad: Oh well....I guess I have to reinstall Leopard or something....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.