iBook G4 12 Inch Charger.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by greenday123, Dec 1, 2008.

1. greenday123 macrumors 6502

My iBook charger has stopped working, the iBook is well out of warranty by now, and i cant find any replacement chargers for it. Instead of just buying another one, will apple replace my current one? It was sparking on the cable that plugs into the computer and it looks like its been burnt, which is probobly why it doesn't work anymore, is this a defect with apples chargers and will they replace it even though my iBook is out of warranty?

[​IMG]

2. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the link, but i wasn't asking for a link to buy one..

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you said you couldnt find a replacement one...

why would apple replace your power brick if its out of warranty? i guess you could try but you may just be stuck having to buy a new one as i wouldnt count on it

4. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know why they would replace it, i've read several stories about this same exact thing happening to other people with the same charger so i thought apple might consider it a defect and replace it free of charge, like the macbook cracking issue, they replace the cases of macbooks for cracking even when they are out of warranty and are still working, so maybe they would replace my charger for my ibook when it was sparking and wont charge my ibook anymore

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wouldnt hurt to take it in a see

just remember to be nice as that always helps

6. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I would definitely take it in and see what they say, as a sparking charger isn't normal function, and is definitely a safety hazard.

7. sananda macrumors 68020

mine burnt in a different place. apple replaced it at no cost to me and my warranty had long expired.

8. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright well ill take it in this weekend hopefully they'll replace it :)

9. California macrumors 68040

California

There is a class action suit out on these power adapters. I bet Apple would replace it for you. Go to an apple store. Google the suit, can't recall where i read it.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

great news for the op

yea in fact, id be surprised if they didnt replace it on the spot for you if theres a class action lawsuit on those things

11. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that is right, i just looked it up, there is a class action law suit, which apple settled, and my iBook's serial number is in the list of computers that are covered, woo hoo looks like its getting replaced :D

Apple Settles Class Action Suit Over Fault Notebook Adapters

^^Link for anyone thats interested