iBook G4 12' kernel panics when starting from CD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kdg12, May 7, 2009.

1. kdg12 macrumors newbie

Good morning,
    I am a first time user of this forum but I have heard great things about it. Here's my problem. I have a G4 iBook 12" 1.2 Ghz. When watching Hulu on it about 6 weeks ago I lost video. Screen went black. Computer was running by just no video. I guessed it overheated so I shut it down by holding down the power button. I waited a few minutes and then started it back up with no issues. A couple of days later I started getting kernel panics with no real pattern. I wiped the hard drive clean (zeroed all data) and re-install 10.5.6. Everything went great for a few days and then the panics came back. I am thinking maybe the hard drive is failing as my data is getting corrupted easily. Here's the thing that has me scratching my head, I get kernel panics even when starting up from a CD of DVD. Does that signal maybe it's the logic board ?
    I have searched this issue on this forum and haven't really found an answer that matches my circumstances. Any guidance would be appreciated

Thanks,

Kevin

2. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

If you have a spare RAM module that will work with that computer, I'd suggest popping that in and seeing if it resolves your kernel panics off CD/DVD. It could be a hard drive issue, as you said your data is corrupting easily. Trial and error is the only way to go in situations like this though. And RAM's cheaper than a logic board ;)

3. kdg12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have read that, also. I need to give that a try. I just thought hard drive first due to the corruption issue, but then it doesn't make sense that it would panic when the hard drive isn't in use yet.

4. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Well, yes and no. Regardless of whether you're booting from the drive or not, the hardware will still get initialized. If the system starts to load the IDE or SATA drivers and encounters a hardware error, it could cause a kernel panic or crash.

5. kdg12 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's good info to know. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks !

6. kdg12 thread starter macrumors newbie

As an update, it does seem that it was a memory issue. I changed out the ram for a better quality and it seems that the problem has been solved. Thanks for the help.

7. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Great to hear! :)