iBook G4 12" parts interchangeability

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Daniël Oosterhuis, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

So I've currently got two iBook G4 12" models, both with problems, which I want to make into 1 nice unit.
    Basically, one, the 800MHz model, is missing screws but has the best case (slight indentations on the edges due to the previous user prying it open with a screwdriver and way too much force), has a stuck/broken optical drive, but, still powers on and boots to the Tiger CD stuck inside. The hard drive is not shown.
    The other one, the 1.2GHz 12" model, has the screws, but has a discoloured case, a cracked screen bezel, also a stuck/broken optical drive (disc comes out a bit, but can't be pulled out), and a slightly worn trackpad. Again, it does boot when powered, although I can't get into anything but the Open Firmware as the disc inside appears not to be an OSX disc.

My question is: Could I take the logic boards, and swap them over? As well as the case itself? It'd be nice if I could put the 1.2GHz in the 800MHz case, as it has no broken screen bezel and no discolouration. It would also be nice to put the 800MHz board into the messed up case, so I could use that as a music player for my low power FM transmitter setup. It'd be an ugly Frankenstein device, but hey, it still would be used for something, repurposing for the win! I could live with a cracked screen bezel, but I would much more prefer it without, and if it's possible with some effort, I'm down for it!

2. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

The repair guide at iFixit has a common guide for the iBookG4 800MHz-1.2GHz.
    I think, your iBooks share the same internal architecture concerning logic-board, Airport-card, optical drive and HDD.
    The iBookG4 1.33Ghz for example is different with no Airport card but separate BT and Wifi-Cards.
    By the end you will need to open them side by side if you want to swap parts and really want to sort out any incompatibility ...

3. Daniël Oosterhuis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Well, it seems like I won't have to bother with swapping logic boards, as it appears the 1.2GHz model is suffering LB failure. It now powers on, whirring the optical drive, along with caps lock responding and F4 acting as num-lock, but the screen won't turn on. CMD+OPT+P+R/CMD+OPT+A+V won't help in the slightest. It also smells a bit musty, that typical smell of something that has been in a poor isolated loft or shed for a bit too long... Is it toast? Guess I can strip it down for screws and other potential small parts, then, and fix up the 800MHz model nicely. Sad that I can get the 400MHz speed upgrade, but such is life.

4. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Did you try booting up the 'G4 1.2GHz' in target mode? Maybe it's just a hard drive failure - so target mode would fail too.
    Or you may also try to put one of your working PPC Macs into Target mode and try to boot-up the G4 via FireWire from that target-drive. Don't know if that will work but it might help you to sort out, if the logic-board of your G4 is still alive...
    If the 1.2GHz will fail, the 800GHz G4 still is a nice machine. But it comes in handy to max-up RAM to 1.25GB and put in an mSATA. Tiger is much faster than Leopard. I've recently set up a 800MHz iBook with Tiger-Server as a 'training-unit'. Good fun. (Even with only 256MB RAM and no SSD.)
    I guess, you know all about that stuff.
    Lucky that you've got a Tiger-CD/DVD sitting in one of your optical drives! ;)

5. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

TDM won't help if the screen won't turn on

6. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Ah, ok. - Question is about if the logic-board or the display is dead.
    If it's only a display failure you may still be able to boot-up in target-mode and geet access to the hdd from anather mac via firewire.
    Additionally you may check, if you can enable video-out with a vga-display connector.

7. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

My last response was if the LB was fried, to test, try an external display

8. Daniël Oosterhuis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Don't have the adapter to plug it into anything. In TDM, does the device still show up even if there's no hard drive? Because if OS X ignores other devices in TDM due to having no drive, I still don't know if it's fried or not.

9. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

In TDM only a working/existent drive shows up in the other Mac where the TDM-device/drive is connected to.