ibook G4 14" will not turn on-can i get stuff off my hardrive?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kitkat198, Jul 23, 2008.

1. kitkat198 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    My ibook g4 14" screen will not turn on. When I flip it over, all the green lights for the battery are full but the computer will just not start. Can I still retrive things from the hard drive, such as pics, docs, and music? Also, how do I register my ipod touch onto a new computer so that I can update it?

2. kenta macrumors newbie

That might be tough considering that the system wont power up. In this case the drive isn't likely being spun-up at all either. One option is to get it fixed, another is to take the drive out and mount it on another machine. This might not be easy unless you have everything you need to do the work (Set of pin drivers, and maybe an external 2.5" hd case would be pluses). Taking the drive out is a real pain in the butt on the ibook G4's. It's not that hard if you're computer-savvy and have taken a laptop apart before, but follow the guides as there are quite a many many screws. If you own a cat, lock them out of the room :)

3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Haha, I'd advise that if you own a black macbook too...my cat put her paw prints all over it when she came in from the rain and walked across the lid of my macbook :eek: