Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X-JRO

macrumors member
Original poster
Well my brother just picked up an old iBook G4 2003 A1055 off ebay. Not having a mac, nor being to computer savvy, he assumed it was broken. When we turned it on it came up with a picture of a folder with the finder icon and flashed to a question mark. After we had a look at it I suspected it didn't have an OS installed. Must have been formatted.

To check, I chucked my OSX disk from my computer (I've never used it before as it came per-installed) and it started up. It came up with a message saying Osx couldn't be installed.

What OS will this take and what else do I/should I need to know to get this running.

All the best for christmas from Australia.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
You can't use another restore disks on any machine other then the one it came with. What you need to do is buy retail version if tiger. Or try to find the original restore disks for that model.

X-JRO

macrumors member
Original poster
You can't use another restore disks on any machine other then the one it came with. What you need to do is buy retail version if tiger. Or try to find the original restore disks for that model.

Do you know anywhere I can get it cheap for Australia (not sure if they have different PAL/NTSC copies)?

Is that all I'd need to do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.