iBook G4 as Server - Issues?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dbdjre0143, May 8, 2018.

1. dbdjre0143 macrumors regular

dbdjre0143

I've been considering setting up a Debian server to run OwnCloud for awhile, and am considering using my (currently unsused) iBook G4 for the job. It's the 1GHz 12" model (https://everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/specs/ibook_g4_1.0_12.html). I remember reading somewhere that this model partially cools through the keyboard. Of course, that could have been wrong, or I could be misremembering. My question is then, can I safely leave this model turned on 24/7 with it closed without worrying about overheating? Also, anyone else tried using an iBook in this manner with any potential caveats to note?

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

For about a year, I used an iBook G3 (600mhz I think) as a Time Machine backup server. I had two USB external drives connected to it.

After having made the initial full TM backup I connected both externals and things were fine from there. Worked pretty well. I had it sitting behind some speakers on a high shelf, but I left the lid open.

Almost anything I use in a similar manner I install OSX VNC on so I could remote into the Mac any time to see if there were issues - without having to climb up and turn on the screen.

I imagine if you do something similar it shouldn't be an issue - except closing the lid probably. TM backups are essentially file sharing so if that's your intent here it's not that different.

3. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

The iBooks do use the keyboard to dissipate some heat. It handles it’s heat pretty well, but I think that all G4 portables tend to run too hot to operate with the lid closed on a permanent basis.

4. dbdjre0143 thread starter macrumors regular

dbdjre0143

Thanks for the thoughts @eyoungren and @AphoticD. I will then try to find somewhere I can leave it open without my cats bothering it. :p