iBook G4 battery problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by foothead, May 5, 2009.

1. foothead macrumors regular

okay, i have an iBook G4, and the battery still holds about a 50% charge, but all of a sudden, I booted it up, and just get an x in the battery meter, but it still works with the battery if I boot without the AC plugged in. if I plug the AC in, it will instantly turn off as soon as i unplug it. I already did the OF reset-nvram, reset-all, but it didn't help. what can I do? I don't want to buy a new battery because i might get a macbook this summer.

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

You could try these if you've not already:

Battery calibration - fully charge the battery [I'm assuming your machine is still charging even tho' it switches itself off?], disconnect AC, use the computer until the low-battery warning appears, continue to use until computer goes to sleep, then fully recharge.

and/or

PMU reset - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431

3. foothead thread starter macrumors regular

Did the PMU reset, but now I get 0% in the icon, but I know it has at least some power, as I was using it on battery power before. Will it change in a few minutes? it's been at 0 for at least 5 minutes and has randomly gone to sleep on me twice.

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Sorry if my first post wasn't clear, but I intended that you try the battery calibration before the PMU reset :eek:. If you're able, try the battery calibration routine next.

5. foothead thread starter macrumors regular

I can't do that because i just get 0%, and it isn't charging anymore.

6. stayupforever99 macrumors newbie

I know your thinking of a new macbook but I say buy a new battery, look on ebay should only be about £50-£60. You never know when you may need a PPC mac, keep history alive :):):)

7. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Can you go to Apple Menu>About This Mac>Power>Battery Information: Cycle Count ? If the cycle count is high (>300 or so) it may be at the end of its useful life even tho' it's holding a 50% charge.

8. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Agree with that sentiment. I would just make sure it's a genuine Apple battery (which are about GBP 85.00 direct from Apple; possibly cheaper elsewhere) IMO.

9. foothead thread starter macrumors regular

YAY I got 1%. It means i might have something. I really don't want to buy a new battery unless I have to because I don't really have the money right now. I think I will just use it on AC power for now.
    BTW it only has 235 cycles.

10. foothead thread starter macrumors regular

Okay. It stayed at 1% for about an hour, and then jumped to 99% so I assume its fixed.:eek: What caused this, though?

11. foothead thread starter macrumors regular

It's working fine now.(I'm using it on battery power now) Thanks to everyone who posted, especially so quickly. I don't know where i would be without this website.:eek: