ibook g4 blank screen

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mangobongo, Nov 26, 2007.

1. mangobongo macrumors newbie

my problem is a screen that is lit but grey ,with vertical lines very faint in the background. when connected to a monitor all is well. i have replaced the screen with a second hand one from ebay and it is exactly the same. what is more likely- both screens are duff or is there something obvious i'm missing. i was given the ibook by a friend replaced the harddrive and gave it to my son and it worked for six weeks perfectly until the display suddenly went never to return. so i have no discs at my disposal. any clues

2. DK8 macrumors newbie

duff ibook screen reply

It's 99.9% likely it's not the screen that's your problem but the logic board that's shot.

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

Problem is that the problem extends a bit further than the free logic board replacement program by Apple allows... so you need to be pretty insistent to get them to respond if your serial number isn't one of the affected -- they did however replace mine out of warranty and outside the confines of the stated program as a special one off whilst not admitting liability of you follow

Good luck

DK

3. mangobongo thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, does that still hold if all works fine when connected to an external monitor? is it worth giving an os re-install a try? should i try taking it all apart [again] and checking all connections?