iBook G4 boots to folder with a question mark! Tried everything and need help.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by shrimp068, Dec 29, 2008.

1. shrimp068 macrumors newbie

I have an iBook G4 which I bought a few years ago that will not boot for me anymore. When I turn it on it will load the folder with the question mark. I have searched the internet for hours and tried everything with it. I don't have the CD because I bought the laptop on ebay though.

I think the problem is with the battery though, but I wanted to get some input before i spent 100 dollars on a new battery. I almost always have kept my laptop plugged into the AC adapter, so over the two years I have had it is has lost a lot of charge on the battery. It got to the point near the end where if I even unplugged the AC adapter my laptop would die. Then it got to the point where it started booting to the question mark, and after a few tries it would boot to the operating system. Now I can't even get it to boot to the operating system at all.

All I want to do is get my data off the laptop with an external hard drive so I just want to get it started one time, and that is a lot to spend 100 dollars on, so if anyone has any alternatives please share them with me! I really appreciate it.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try booting with the option key held down. Do you get the option to start to your normal hard drive?

You should also calibrate your iBook's battery once a month for maximum longevity, even (especially) if you aren't using it on a regular basis.

3. shrimp068 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! No my hard drive doesn't even show up. I hear it whir a few times, but then it stops.

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well if it spins up and then stops it looks like your HDD is gone. Did you happen to back anything up before it started to give you problems?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution