Ibook g4 cant eject disc

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dvdmcwilliams, Feb 23, 2016.

1. dvdmcwilliams macrumors newbie

dvdmcwilliams

I bought recently an ibook g4 14" 1.33ghz, the problem i have is cannot eject the discs, i tried with open firmware, and it says "unable to open cd drive", i tried with F12 when booting, mouse click when booting, etc the only thing i cannot do is eject when the system loads, because i have spinning wheel when booting and wont load to the system, plz i need some help ASAP, thanks!!!;)

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Download a Leopard ISO off of the Macintosh Garden and follow instructions online on how to make a bootable USB on a PPC Mac. Are you sure there is a DVD drive present?

3. sorgo macrumors member

sorgo

I'm so sorry </3

Perhaps follow a guide (such as this one) to open the 'Book, remove the drive, and eventually somehow successfully open it? It's worth a shot, and could be fun!

Good luck.

4. dvdmcwilliams thread starter macrumors newbie

dvdmcwilliams

Yes, this model came with a cd/dvd combo..

5. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Yes, but are you sure it is present? As in the optical drive is currently inside the laptop? The laptop may not be recognizing the drive because a. it may not be present, or b. the cable to the optical drive may be slightly unplugged

6. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

So is it making noises, attempting to eject the disc, or is nothing happening? If nothing is happening, MacCubed is right. If it's attempting to empty the drive, but the disc won't come out, it's jammed. Either way, you'll need to dig into the iBook to fix/replace the drive.

7. dvdmcwilliams thread starter macrumors newbie

dvdmcwilliams

Yes it works, when i press option for boot menu, the drive appears on it

When i boot the machine the disc starts to read, then the spinning wheel, the disc stop, then 2 minutes later, kernel panic.

8. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Ok, as I said earlier, download a Leopard ISO file from the Macintosh Garden, and follow online instructions on how to make a bootable USB for a PPC Mac. That does however require another Mac to be able to create one

9. dvdmcwilliams thread starter macrumors newbie

dvdmcwilliams

Done guys, thanks to all!!!, the easiest way (to me at least) was to unmount the whole machine, and open the super drive to take the disc...o_O