iBook G4: Certain spots on screen bezel bulged-out??

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Jan 13, 2015.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hey everyone,

I have noticed this issue on iBook G4s (and perhaps Snows), where certain points along the screen bezel feel as if they are bulging. Recently I took the lid off of my G4 to put some red lighting film over the Apple logo, from behind (a common modification). However, I noticed that one area on the bezel was bulged out and was beginning to show some cracking. I initially thought it had to do with a clip not going in properly, so I took the machine apart... I then saw that the actual screen assembly was doing that, and that the clips had gone in fine. I cannot remember whether that was already there or if it had just developed.

Does anyone know why this happens? My other iBook G4 has this issue, and I don't know whether it developed after I had done the similar modification to it, or if it was already there from the start.

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about... Can you post a picture?

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Not noticeable if you see it, and especially not in a picture. Feel-around on the bezel of an iBook and see if you notice lumps in the plastic. I am referring to the bezel around the screen.

4. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

How do you remove the bezel? I would love to modify the apple logo

5. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

There are four hex screws around the sides and the whole plastic back comes off.

6. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Hmm... I did that but it was stuck on

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

It's also snapped around the bezel. Run a spudger between the bezel and the back cover.

8. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

There are 4 clips per side of the screen; use the corner of an I.D. card and run it through the seems while gently prying.

9. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Yeah I got it off with a tiny screw driver.

10. Xernicus macrumors member

I've noticed on my iBooks how easily it is to disfigure the plastic by tightening those hex screws on the edge of the display lid. I rebuilt my 12" in order to replace the bezel as a matter of fact (it had a rubber foot torn off), and upon putting it back together, I am happy to report I didn't damage anything.

There's quite a bit of clearance in the lid, so I doubt that putting a red photo filter behind the apple logo would've caused this issue... probably impatience more than anything else bent/marred some of the softer plastic. :/ I've been there and done that a few times myself...

11. iMacC2D, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017